Painting help

M

MrGotty

Hey guys I am one of the many people who can not afford a air brush just yet, so I was wondering how do you achieve the same effect when post shading, weathering etc etc etc with a brush?

much help appreciated

thanks

|Scott

D

dubster72

Scott, you can't post shade with a brush, that's an airbrush technique. However, there's no reason why you can't get a great result with just a hairy stick!

My advice would be to use 2-3 thin coats to avoid brushmarks & then weather as usual, depending on what kind of model you're making.

Many of the guys here will offer specific advice & assistance once you're at that stage.

Patrick

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
You can do a version of post shading with a hairy stick. I saw the technique demonstrated on a model at a show in France several years ago when I was working over there. I've never tried it and haven't been able to find any relevant links but it amounted to dry brushing various panels to give the desired effect.

The French modeller demonstrated this to fade the paint on a jet based in Africa (Chad I think he said) and it looked fantastic. There must be demonstrations of the technique somewhere on t'interweb,I just haven't found one.

Cheers

Steve

M

MrGotty

Looks like I will have to invest in an air brush then when I can, what about weathering techniques?

Scott

D

dubster72

Unless you take a lot of time Steve, I think dry brushing will always look like just dry brushing, & not give the desired effect. It's true that panels can be faded, I do it with oils & acrylics although it's certainly easier on armour than aircraft!

Weathering is particularly dependent on what you're making, generally AFVs will be more heavily weathered than planes & the scale matters too.

Basic weathering IMHO consists of 2 stages ; the wash(es) & drybrushing. Both are designed to add depth & bring out detail.

We'd need to know a bit more to offer detailed advice.

What are you planning to build Scott?

Patrick

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Steve is right, you can shade with a brush.

Here is the basic method....

Remember to use lots of coats, it won't work with just a couple.

The paint has to be very well thinned..around ten to one

After priming, and using a 3 or 4mm flat head brush, paint the model in the base coat, but make it a slightly lighter shade.

When dry, paint the model, using the same brush as above, with a thinned coat of the correct base colour, where you consider there is less wear to the surfaces.(Such as fuselage sides) Slowly build up the painting at this stage until the right effect is achieved and the first coat is nicely showing through where required. Thus you get the subtle change in panel shading......

Finally, with a very fine, pointed brush (I use one called a 'rigger') carefully paint the panel lines ect. with a coat of well thinned base coat, slightly darker than the correct colour. An alternative to this is to use a sharp 2H pencil and scribe the panel lines.

It might be a bit slower than using an airbrush, but a brush can produce equally satisfying results.

Patrick is right, we need to know what you are making, where it is and what time of year. As he points out, these factors will have a bearing on the type of weathering. Then we can, hopefully, offer further advise.

Finally, don't rush into buying an airbrush.

With a bit of practice a brush can produce as good a job, and can do things that could well be impossible for an airbrush.

Cheers,

Ron

Last edited by a moderator:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I think the French guy used oils but I don't really remember. It was a while ago and I was already airbrushing.

The result was stunning,I guess that's why he was the one doing the demo :smiling5:

Cheers

Steve

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Steve, your last post reminded me I should have stated I use oils.

I found acrylics didn't flow as well and didn't get in all the nooks and crannies, and thinned too much were far to insipid.

Ron

M

MrGotty

Thanks guys and well atm I am just doing a 1:72 Ilyushin Sturmovik struggling with painting atm, I am just following the instructions really, wrong thing to do I am guessing, as I have read about primer coats and everything lol do you have any tips on different paint stages? The guide I read was with using a darn air brush so that was'nt much help. The sturmovik is my first model and I am painting it the soviet colors and it has camo, tips on painting camo would be appreciated also. Hope I am not asking for too much.

Thanks

Scott[h=3][/h]

D

dubster72

I'll retire gracefully at this point Scott, because what I know about aircraft painting you could fit on the back of a stamp! Steve, Tony & the other guys are better placed for helping, I wouldn't want to steer you wrong.

But I will say that all of us have learnt painful & often expensive lessons as we attempt to get better at this hobby, and I'm still learning so don't be disheartened if it doesn't work out as you hoped. There's always the next one!

Patrick