Panzer III Early J 5cm KwK 39 L60?

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Hi

Has anyone ever seen a Pz III J with the KwK39 5cm L60 barrel fitted and still having a "J" layout on the tracks guards for equipment?

I have searched everywhere, I have found one, but the reference is a late "J" with the turret vision ports filled,
Not an early "J" simply up gunned to the L60.

My references do indicate the early "J"s were up gunned but I can not find any photographic evidence to confirm this!

Thank you for your help, well in advance

regards

Steve H

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Dont know if these are any good as you would know which ones are early and which ones are late

001-pz3Jlong.jpgp1.jpgp2.jpgp3 (1).jpgPanzer_3_ausf_J.jpgPanzer_III_Ausf_J.jpgPanzer_III_Ausf_J_4.jpgPanzer_III_Ausf_J_6.jpgPanzer_III_Ausf_J_12_Panzerdivision_winter_camo_2.jpgPanzer_III_Ausf_J_during_operations_on_the_Eastern_Front_in_the_summer_of_1942.jpgPanzer_III_Ausf_J_Late_tanks.jpgPanzer_III_Ausf_J_Late_turret_number_232.jpgPanzerkampfwagen_Panzer_III_eastern_front.jpgPhoto-02.Italeri.jpgColumn_of_Panzer_III_Ausf_J.jpg
(For information purposes only)

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thought early & late Js were denoted by spaced armor on front surfaces of late Js. The K & later had different stowage & antennae mounts, but I'm no PzrIII expert. PaulE

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Thanks Steve & Paul

You are right, the mid J's were upgraded with Vor armour and tropical rear deck upgrades, this was part of the change including the L60 gun and adding spare road wheels to the driver's side track guard too.

I was hoping to use the early layout with the L60 but it doesn't seem to be a reality, so be it, i shall just have to do another one, another day!

Back down to earth and finish the early J with the L42 gun and get some paint on it once the temperature goes back to a more usual soggy British summer?

Thanks for the assist

regards

Steve H

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Look forward to seeing how your build turns out Steve. It would be great if you could keep us in touch on your progress:thumb2:

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Be careful what you wish for Steve!

Its straight out of the box, I have the PE upgrade set, but in all fairness the Dragon kit really doesn't need it, unless you were building it stripped and needed the tool clamps empty.

A little sanding and scribing will be all that is required, even the RB L.60 barrel will have to wait for another build!

The build is part of a 5 kit Dunkelgelb painting experiment, Pz I A SCW Breda done, Stug 10.5cm and prototype SturmTiger ready for weathering, L4500 Maultier chassis build and base coated, cab still to finish, err start! LOL
and finally a Pz III J early L42 DAK
Pz III early J L42 review
Darn it, I was going to add a build link, but it appears there isn't one on the interweb
Probably because it is such a "vanilla" build!

I shall photograph it tomorrow and put one up

I am slow and meticulous and scrape and scribe mould lines off the parts that aren't even visible, it will take a while but there you have it.

Tomorrow

Regards

Steve H