Panzer IV turret interior colour

X

Xarathustra

What's the general consensus on this?
I'm (probably) going for Vallejo Ivory. Is that right, or would the interior be a more pale buff colour?
I'm tempted to mix white & sand to get somewhere near an ivory colour too...

Also does anyone know what the 'RLM' prefix means on some of the Vallejo piant?

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Spot on with Vallejo Ivory. German translation is Elfenbein. Remember to do all hatches, doors etc that can be seen from the air when opened, the same colour as you are using on the outside ie dunkelgelb etc. If you want to push the boat out then the Germans used red oxide for the primer before applying Elfenbein. So if you want to do some interior chips you may want to use that colour. Then to really confuse you, between September and December 1944 all interiors went out the factory just in oxide red!:smiling5:

Last edited:
X

Xarathustra

Spot on with Vallejo Ivory. German translation is Elfenbein
. Remember to do all hatches, doors etc that can be seen from the air when opened, the same colour as you are using on the outside ie dunkelgelb etc. If you want to push the boat out then the Germans used red oxide for the primer before applying Elfenbein. So if you want to do some interior chips you may want to use that color. Then to really confuse you, between September and December 1944 all interiors went out the factory just in oxide red.

Thanks Steve, I'd come across the red oxide issue in my research. With regards to the ivory colour, I just needed some confirmation....I now have to wait a couple of days for John to send it :smiling:

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Happy to help George. Many modellers use other paint makes so you may get a variety of answer's based on other paint manufactures.

As for RLM that stands for Reichsluftfahrtministerium or translated - Ministry of Aviation. Set up by the Nazis in 1933 it ran signals, codes and lots of secret stuff during the war. I am sure you have guessed it, but it was responsible for vehicle paint schemes:thumb2: