papa 695's 1/48 Airfix Merlin HC3

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Made a start on this one. Got the front undercarrage bay painted and fitted also done most of the cockpit, but it still needs a bit of work.
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Got a little more done to this one.
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg
I just need to find out the colour of the belts/ straps to paint them.

First Name
Dave
Nice work Ian. Someone built this kit on here a few years ago,I think it was Laurie, had cracked or crazed canopies. Hopefully yours are ok?.

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice work Ian. Someone built this kit on here a few years ago,I think it was Laurie, had cracked or crazed canopies. Hopefully yours are ok?.
Yes it was Laurie Dave. To be honest I've not looked at the clear parts yet, I best take a look when I get home.

Rbaker

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Looking good

I will be watching this one and picking up tips for when I start my one

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thats coming along rather nicely
Thanks Steve.
Got the inside completed, added some Matt varnish and got it sealed up. Just a slight warning, when I was putting the sides and top on some of the lugs were too large for the slots. They would have fitted in if you pushed them but would have caused a slight ripple in the frame. So an easy fix just trim the lugs so as not to cause any problems when the main sides go on. I also had to sand some of the round bit at the rear near the ramp, because it was making the sides stand a little high.
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Looking nice. That's the thing with helicopter kits. You have to build all of the inside, along with all of the outside. Unlike wing things - slap a cockpit in and your done.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Coming along nicely Ian. All those belts must have been a real tedious job.

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Ive slowly putting the sides and part of the top on this. The tail end and rear rotor boom was a very nice fit, but as you got to the front, the poor fit started to show. To be honest I really think it's the fact that the bulkhead ( if that's what you call it, last picture. ) is too big and needs sanding down before the sides go on.
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg