Part 2 Supermarine Spitfire Vc

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Hi guys and gals. Postie bought my other parcel toady.This will be my second Spitfire in the Malta defence SIG. This is Special Hobby SH48051 Mk Vc 1/48.

I will be depicting this Spitfire in Sqn 185. Colours

Box art and sprue shots

Comments welcome.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

D

Deleted member 4539

Very Nice Robert.

I've done a few Special Hobby kit's in my time.

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Thanks guys for the comments.

My process wil be pretty much the same as the Tamiya kit and I'll go down the same route of paint ref using Tamiya colours. There are pe seat belts but I'll prob add some extra detail too for interest

I'm hoping now the ship has docked in Uk il be in reciept of my new compressor so I can get some major painting done.

Regards

Robert

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Hi guys.

Well I got the internals interior green all painted on the Vc but still need detailing and weathering.

Thought I'd test fit the Vc and compare the special hobby against the Tamiya

I'll let you decide on the wing fit dry only

Tamiya first ( wings now glued and lovely. Jubbley

Special Hobby is the grey

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

First Name
Dave
I've built a few Special Hobby kits. They are not as easy to build as Tamiya. But they do make some interesting kits that are not done by other manufacturers. This one looks to have some nice detail .But those wing roots will need a bit of work.

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Thanks Dave.

I like the differance in detail from the Tamiya and the plastic moulding is quite soft too so no warping as such have I found.

Detail in the cockpit should be reasonably the same as the Vb with subtle changes only.I should get more progress done tomorrow once I take the wife to Glasgow.

Regards

Robert

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
\ said:
The joys of a Special Hobby kit;)
Don't get me wrong Ralph they are fine but I suppose not having locating pins etc from one half of plastic to the other really tests patients and the destructions are not far off dragons. Where as simplified drawings are not the best but I will Percy on the best way I know.

Robert

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Well I thought about this long and hard and I nearly threw it in the bin twice ( I actually did once )

The wing fit was dreadful and I mean dreadful but I had an ingenious idea. I stuffed the wing roots with paper tissue balls to bring the wings in line ro the fuselage and now I believe I have the right angle and only a little filling.

I have been busy at work so I didn't get much time to take shots and so it's built ready ( near enough for spraying.

The tail did not sit right and this had to be adjusted a lot to get it to fit right and il still need to fill here and there.

I've lost a bit of detail which I can rescribe

Cockpit went together well ( sort of ) and have detailed out as in the Tamiya. PE seat belts in and Sutton harness fitted correctly ( think it's right as without pilot it would be slackened.

Pics and comments welcome

Robert

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

D

Deleted member 4539

I threw it in the bin once:D.

Certainly make you work the Special Hobby kits.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
The wing to fuselage fit is always the one that causes most problems on aircraft models. Sometimes you have to try and minimise the work to make the fit work by accepting that something will need fixing but deciding what that will be yourself.

One of my favourite tricks is to attach the upper wing to the fuselage before building the entire wing. With little, or maybe even no, work on either the fuselage or the upper wing you should be able to get a nice fit and, most importantly, you can eliminate any step.

Sometimes, when you eventually attach the lower wing, a gap will appear along the leading edge. On almost all aircraft this is an area that was smooth and detail free and this means that this gap is much easier to fix neatly than a horrible step at the wing root.

Cheers

Steve

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
\ said:
The wing to fuselage fit is always the one that causes most problems on aircraft models. Sometimes you have to try and minimise the work to make the fit work by accepting that something will need fixing but deciding what that will be yourself.
One of my favourite tricks is to attach the upper wing to the fuselage before building the entire wing. With little, or maybe even no, work on either the fuselage or the upper wing you should be able to get a nice fit and, most importantly, you can eliminate any step.

Sometimes, when you eventually attach the lower wing, a gap will appear along the leading edge. On almost all aircraft this is an area that was smooth and detail free and this means that this gap is much easier to fix neatly than a horrible step at the wing root.

Cheers

Steve
I like that idea

Hats off to you :D

Robert

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Nice kit Robert and work coming along very nicely;)

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Well I got two spits done today primer that is the Vc ( special hobby is a nice kit if you can get over the flaws and understand special hobbys instructions.

Anyway again with the new primer I have this one all primed up nicely

Showing I need to attend to a little bit of filling under the air filter and in front of cockpit

Pics

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Well now it's time for the Vc to get the same treatment as the Vb

First the undersides were sealed and protected with wide Kamoitape ( less tacky than standard tami tape IMHO

Same mid stone Tamiya colour used XF-59 and XF-60 thinned with X-20A thinners.then will be the later dark earth colour

This Spitfire will be camo differant than the Vb as this is a later version but still took part in Malta defence.

I say differant because it will have a Bluish grey look to it when I'm finished.... But not just yet eh

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

D

Deleted member 4539

Don't forget to wipe the grease off if you are going to use sausages again;)

First Name
Dave
Glad to see your persevering with the special hobby spitfire. It will all be worth it when it's finished.

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Been a while but got the Vc camo masked up ready for the dark earth and seemed to go very well with the sausage tech masking ( same as the Vb ) I broke the cannon on the left wing but retained and will reattach later

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg