Partisan Attack!....1st Blood.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
After seeing all the good stuff for this G/B whilst I was playing catch up today, I thought it about time I set my stall out!

Whilst I was building my 1/87 Big Boy loco when the G/B started, I thought to do summat as my contribution, involving railways rather than armour and aircraft. I hunted for 1/35 scale railway stuff and whilst it was available, it would have cost a three figure sum for even the modest dio. I had in mind! Forget it, I may be daft but...

So I have plumped for 1/72 or OO scale. A darn sight cheaper and readily available. (with some mods.!)

The plot:-

During the early stages of Operation Barbarossa ( The invasion of Russia in 1941) little or no resistance was met from the Russians and the invading German Army steam rollered into the 'Motherland.'

Rather like the French Resistance (the Maquis), the Russian Partisans had very little to fight with at first, so had to use cunning to achieve results and they soon realised the invading Germans, being so sure of a quick victory, were sending supplies by rail using, as yet, unguarded trains.........Bad move!

The Build:-

I am still waiting for a couple more elements to complete the kit tally so I have posted the ones I have aquired so far.... not much, but a start!

Whilst I have been getting the kits organized I have made steady progress with the diorama itself. I didn't think it would be of any use cluttering up the G/B by doing a stage build as I always use the same principle as my recent 'Making a 1/35 diorama' thread, i.e everything out of the garden or lane for nowt! But I will post some pickies of it's progress soon.

New to me this railway lark, so should be good fun....

I will post pictures of the remaining kits when I have them.

Cheers,

Ron

View attachment 25552

View attachment 25553

View attachment 25554

Partisan attack 002.jpg

Partisan attack 001.jpg

Partisan attack 003.jpg

B

bikerbart

Really liking the sound of this Ron. Something completly different, and i reckon youre ganna have a whole lotta fun building this. I for one will be following this closely, all the best with it Ron, many regards Martin :smiling:

F

Fenlander

Once again I can see the diversity of ideas coming to the for again. Great idea for a scene Ron and a welcome change from armour and aircraft.

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Can't wait to see it all come together Ron, looking forward to one of your loco's matey.

Have fun, John

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Ron

Really interesting build you've got planned and something very different to other projects in the GB. I'll be really interested to see this develop and see that train derail!

Good luck with the build it sounds spectacular!

Cheers

Paul

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks gents for the interest and words of encouragement. As puff puffs are a new dimension to me, I'll need all the help I can muster!

Here as promised are a few shots of the rolling stock so far, in bare plastic, yet to be painted, weathered and the couplings done.

Also the early work done on the base. I am building a short length of track showing on one side a cutting through the rocks with the start of a forest behind. On the other, a small drop down to a lake. Also, I am forming a small river running under the railway track and entering the lake.

To follow:- A simple railway bridge, more forest and general foliage/muck ect. Do the water, then lay track ballast and finally I will lay the track.

I hope you approve thus far and any comments, suggestions are more than welcome....

Ron

View attachment 25556

View attachment 25557

View attachment 25558

View attachment 25559

Partisan attack 005.jpg

Partisan attack 007.jpg

Partisan attack 006.jpg

Partisan attack 004.jpg

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Off to your usual excellent start Ron!

If I was your missus though, I'd be getting just a tad concerned. If you keep pinching all these bits and pieces from your garden, pretty soon all you're gonna have left is a big hole in the ground!

Mind you, thinkin' about it, that'd give you the chance to create your own lake for ships and subs!

Gern

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for that Dave, scavenging is not a problem though, 'cos the very few neighbours I have are quite used to seeing 'The idiot down the lane.' (I've even been called a Jovial Witness!) plodding in ditches and hedge rows with a FULL SIZE Scale Models bucket looking for stuff!! With a can of Boddies, of course!...

Ron

N

noble

Now ron i have to say this should be rather interesting indeed, i get the feeling there is a secret train spotter within lol lol.

scott

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Just a quick update:-

I have purchased the last bit of rolling stock, no more room on the bit of track!

Also, the present Mrs. Ron sniped me a OO scale locomotive on eebeegeebee Bay today, clever girl! I will post pictures of the kit when I receive it.

Scott, you have seen through me! This build has rekindled some good trainspotting memories, like trying to 'Cab' a loco in the sheds before a hob nail boot contacted with your rear end to politely remove you from the premises! Happy days....

Ron

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Ron - all this is well and good but I think you should stay off the smaller scales - it's not doing your peepers any good!

Cracking good idea look forward to seeing it come together.

Paul

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
You are dead right there Paul, I wanted to do this dio. in 1/35 but as you know when you kindly sourced some rolling stock in that scale, the price was just crazy.

So 1/72 it had to be, the down side is I just could not find a suitable German loco kit at a sensible price, but hopefully I will be able to get over that 'minor irritation' when I receive a loco kit in the next few days. I will post a picture and explain my cunning plan when I get it...

Ron

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Ron, sorry - the peepers reference was for your profile picture - them's some serious reading glasses!!!

The dio will be awesome, really looking forward to seeing a sooty derailed loco - the rolling stock kits look brilliant.

Paul

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Sorry Paul, a bit slow there...

Couldn't read your post properly 'cos of these rediculous glasses!!

Ron

R

rogue-one

\ said:
Hi Ron, sorry - the peepers reference was for your profile picture - them's some serious reading glasses!!!The dio will be awesome, really looking forward to seeing a sooty derailed loco - the rolling stock kits look brilliant.

Paul
what!! those eyes and glasses are fake! heck, you'll be telling me that beard is fake too...

he he, joking. anyhoo, this dio idea is brillant. i really like the fact that your using a train. good crossover of railway and military.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Sorry if I have missed developments on the various builds boys and girl...Been missing!

Not very exciting compared with other progress for the G/B but here is the last element for my contribution to the summer build. No sprue shots as such 'cos it's just a bag of loose bits!

I have been trying, without success, to find an OO scale German Locomotive kit circa 1941/2, unless I payed a rediculous amount of money for one that is.. So I found this model on ebeegeebee bay for £6.00. With a bit of modification I reckon it will perhaps pass muster for a German look a like, sez he with not much conviction!

I hope to push on a bit now, so I will post a before and after for your appraisal soon.

Once again my apologies for not posting regularily.

Thanks,

Ron

View attachment 25733

Partisan attack.jpg

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Hello lady and gents, as promised here is the 'before' locomotive built from the box with no primer/painting done. I reckoned this loco is the nearest for starters to clone. Although a very old kit made by Dapol, this OO scale B.R. 2-6-0 Mogul class went together with no fuss.

I will now try and 'Germanize' it to make it look summat like a 1940's loco during the invasion of Russia

I will post some pictures if and when I am successful. Prayer mats at the ready please!

Please understand you good railway people on here, I am not going for anything but a rough interpretation of a wartime loco 'cos it's ultimate fate might not be too pleasant...

:cheers:

Ron

View attachment 25734

View attachment 25735

Partisan attack 008.jpg

Partisan attack 009.jpg

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Sorry to drag off topic for a second but. I got a little shiver down my spine when i first saw this thread Ron. The last picture on your first post imediately made me think of this...

http://www.the13th.com/wolfdisguisedasmonk/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/auschwitz.jpg

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
Sorry to drag off topic for a second but. I got a little shiver down my spine when i first saw this thread Ron. The last picture on your first post imediately made me think of this...http://www.the13th.com/wolfdisguisedasmonk/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/auschwitz.jpg
Quite uncanny this Al, after I had taken that particular picture I too thought the same as you.

I hunted through my piles of reference books and came across a photo which just showed a set of rail tracks going through some gates, everything was white with snow except these two horrible black lines......

Ron