PE - Is this normal?

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I've only ever really used pre-painted PE so i'm not sure about this set i have got. I've used one bit of it but it was like this when i opened it. Some of the bits still seem 'shiny' but the other bits look like they have corrosion/or acid on them. Is this normal for unpainted sets? Should i persevere with it or contact Eduard about it?

IMG_2778.JPGIMG_2779.JPG

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Not used a massive amount of Etch to be honest Alan, but the majority of what I have done has been very shiny,and Clean....
.....although SOME has indeed,looked a little tarnished, although if I remember rightly, that's usually been quite a bit thinner also!
... not a lot of help I know, I'll be interested to hear the replies :smiling3:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looks OK to me Alan. It’s only on the half etched parts and usually happens when the etcher hasn’t changed the ferric chloride etchant quite as regularly as they should. The slightly slower etching has brought some ions to the surface.

To be honest, it’s better than shiny……it has a micro etched surface so takes paint much more readily……

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
So do i have to try and clean it up or anything? What will it look like under a coat of paint?

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Wow did you by that from a shop new? If it was me they would get a whisky tango foxtrot mail from me with photo! Looks to me like it has been pickled. Useable yes. Acceptable as a new product at full price? Nope.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Wow did you by that from a shop new? If it was me they would get a whisky tango foxtrot mail from me with photo! Looks to me like it has been pickled. Useable yes. Acceptable as a new product at full price? Nope.
I don't see the problem Ian, it's just cosmetic. I used PE in my job since the eighties. The etchers just use a 'brightening' solution to make it look better,so unless you need to use the brass in its raw state(which we sometimes did - PITA) it makes no difference whatsoever.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I don't see the problem Ian, it's just cosmetic. I used PE in my job since the eighties. The etchers just use a 'brightening' solution to make it look better,so unless you need to use the brass in its raw state(which we sometimes did - PITA) it makes no difference whatsoever.
Extremely common with the kitchen table manufacturers back in the day Neil. As I said, in this state it takes paint better than the bright shiny electro polished (?) stuff…..probably glues better as well.