PE Parts & superglue.

S

sharowjohn

Hi,

I am pretty sure anyone who has used PE parts to enhance a model will at some stage have come across this peoblem:- part microsubminiture needs to be glued into a plastic componet ,after several flexes of the wrist deep breaths etc four or five attempts and it is finally in position, approach with tiny blob of superglue by whaterever means,( thanks to whoever suggested the cropped eye of a needle bang on.) and the "B" thing jumps courtesy of the surface tension of the glue, big scrabble and maybe. Finaly worked this one out drill a hole oversize pack the hole With 'milliput' from behind clean off the visible surface pop the part into place, this gives you lots of wriggle room and then leave the bloody thing alone until the 'milliput'has set, then seal with superglue.I have not tried this with any other filler but if any one finds it works with a faster setting filler I am sure it will be even bettwr news . I have not read all the hints and tips so if someone has already come up with this sorry.

Cheers sharowjohn.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
That's an interesting solution! If it works with Milliput (which does take a while to go off) maybe it would work with a little blob of 15 min epoxy.

I've also found that CA accelerator can be useful to quickly secure little parts. I have some in a little squirty applicator.

Cheers

Steve

A

andygh

I tend to apply accelorator to the plastic, dip the PE part into a blob of CA, wipe off excess and whack it into place with tweezers, although this method is difficult when you dont have much of the PE part to grab hold of

Hey, if it was easy what would be the point?:twisted:

K

kaiyudsai

I keep lots of blue tac around to use to support parts Im appying PE too.... that was I can keep them nice and level.... so I just have to place them... then use an applicator to wick the CA glue into place.... I have experimented with alot of applicators...... I used to favor a very fine steel wire bunched up and attached to some sprue..... this would such up some CA.... and the capillary action would suck it into the space between the two parts...... However sometimes the wore would become slightly magnetized and cause the tiny bits of PE to become misaligned.... I started using some .020 styrene rod(evergreen stock..) that I heated the tip and made a small loop to hold the CA..... Works OK.. but I have to keep making them.... I have yet to try the squadron applicator.... I would love to see what pple have to say about it..... What is this needle eyelet trick you guys speak of???

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
What is this needle eyelet trick you guys speak of???
Good timing! I think it was I who posted the tip though I don't take credit for inventing the method,it's something I've picked up over the years.

It is a simple applicator. Just take a sewing needle and clip off the top of the eye leaving a small U shape. Perfect for holding and applying a small dose of CA glue and cheap too.

Cheers

Steve

K

kaiyudsai

\ said:
Good timing! I think it was I who posted the tip though I don't take credit for inventing the method,it's something I've picked up over the years.It is a simple applicator. Just take a sewing needle and clip off the top of the eye leaving a small U shape. Perfect for holding and applying a small dose of CA glue and cheap too.

Cheers

Steve
Thanks..... I will try this/..... I've been using silver wire that I foraged from my girlfriends jewelry making supplies..... she will be happy...LOL