Pete's M35 truck. Academy 1/72

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Now the Zeke is finished, it's time to start trucking. Picked up this Academy kit for a US M35 2.5 ton truck at the recent MAFVA show. Seems to be decently moulded, with a good level of detail. Actually 4 sprues, but one has only one part on it.
P1170764.JPG
It's in a sand colour plastic but will end up painted Olive Drab I think. One omission is that there are no clear parts provided. A bit surprising, but the headlights are moulded in, so will just need to be painted silver, and the cab windows are all flat, so I should be able to find something to make them from.
P1170766.JPG
Mouldings are crisp, with no flash that I can see.
P1170767.JPGP1170768.JPG
I'll be building this as a 1968 Vietnam war version - the other scheme is a 2003 Desert Storm one, but I don't want to use the US version of Sandgelb! This'll be the first truck I've built since the 1960s, so be prepared for some mishaps!

Pete

Last edited by a moderator:

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Seated Pete and waiting for a mishap which I don’t think will happen

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I missed a few sink marks when I said the mouldings were good:P1170773.JPG
The winch on the front of the chassis has 6 components, so lots of opportunities to put it together wrongly. I took it apart nad tried again 4 or 5 times but I'm pretty confident it's correct now.
P1170775.JPG
Then a few more suspension and drive train parts:
P1170774.JPG
That's finished page 1 of the instructions, time for a rest now.
Pete

Attachments

• P1170772.JPG
    P1170772.JPG
    158.5 KB · Views: 0

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Haven't posted any updates for a while, sorry. Wife's knee replacement was cancelled - we'd elected to have it done on the NHS but at a private hospital that I used a couple of times when my employer gave me medical insurance. However, they don't have emergency care facilities so they decided she was too much of a risk because of COPD. So, we know have to wait for a new referral, choose another hospital, and go through all the prep again.
In the meantime I've glued some plastic together and even painted some of it:
P1170776.JPG
From what I can see these were pretty much all-over olive drab except for the engine (black) and the canvas roof which was khaki. Luckily it breaks down into three sub-assemblies, chassis, cab/bonnet, and truck bed, which makes the painting easier.
Pete

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
It is good Ian. A few sink marks, and quite a lot of ejector marks, but everything fits together well so far. There's very little detail in the cab, so scratchbuilders could have a lot of fun!
Pete

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Wobble,
See what happens when he is let out on his own, he buys models.... That's his allowance gone for the next year... no more ring doughnuts...

Pete,
Good to see you back on the bench, chair pulled up.
Mike.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I joined those 3 subassemblies, and added a few more bits. The stowage boxes under the doors were completely open at the bottom, and too deep to fill with any of my usual fillers, so I mixed up some Milliput and filled them with that:
P1170777.JPGShould have smoothed that out a bit better, but after sanding:P1170778.JPGNeeds the paint touching up, and the tools fitted, then the wheels, exhaust and mirrors, then it's on with the decals.
Pete

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Thanks Doug. The MOT shouldn't be a problem, it's for my TR4A, that doesn't actually need one but for £30 it's worth having someone else check it over. It's only done a few hundred miles since the last test so I'm not expecting any problems.
Pete