Peugeot 405 T16 GR Paris Dakar

First Name
Jason
Happy New Year everyone. I've been looking forward to this! Here's my contribution, one of Ari Vatanens Dakar winning Peugeots.

View attachment 75708

This kit is 24 years old so the decals are pretty yellow. I tried to source some new ones and there is a company called Shunko who have produced a replica set in the past but I could only find them on a Spanish website and they worked out at about £35! OUCH!!

So I currently have the decal sheet taped to the man cave window and I'm hoping that the sun might come out a lighten them.

Also I'll need to get the Camel decals as they weren't supplied because obviously if they put them in, all of the little children would immediately start smoking 60 a day.

View attachment 75709

View attachment 75710

View attachment 75711

View attachment 75712

Not sure how it will end up at the moment. Probably gonna get a couple of figures, maybe drivers, maybe mechanics. Was thinking about opening the doors but I'm not sure if that will work yet. I have a few reference pictures so we'll see.

Jason

DSC01089.JPG

DSC01092.JPG

DSC01093.JPG

DSC01094.JPG

DSC01095.JPG

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
oooh, now im jealous.......one kit id love to have a go at

J

John Huggins

That looks well cool, i'll be keeping an eye on this one.

John

1275GT

Nice subject Jason, don't see many of these around :smiling3:

Cheers, Neil

D

delmonteman

A 24 year old Peugeot? There isn't many of those knocking about!

Looks good.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Nice choice jason , good luck with the decals. The situation with the Camel logos is just plain silly, a bit like the swastika issue with german ww2 aircraft, If it had them on originally then why leave them off now , as you say its not as if seeing your model will cause youngsters to immediately start smoking !! (makes me think of the Surtees F1 car that used to be sponsored by Durex , wonder why no one ever did a model of that?) A while back I did a Pitts S2 special , the aerobatic aircraft , by LS models , luckily they didnt censor the Rothmans livery , i dont know if the laws are different in Japan or what? Anyway looking forward to seeing this one come together , that kick ass leaf blower on the box lid looks cool too LOL!! cheers tony

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thats a blast from the past.

Ian M

P

Polux

That's a beautiful pearl Jason!

Will follow this one ;)

Polux

First Name
Jason
Made a start today. As I want to put this one on a base with a couple of figures I thought it would make for a more interesting scene if one of the doors were open.

Not as straight forward as it first appeared. The A pillar was very flimsy and as I made the final few passes with the panel scribe it broke:rolleyes:.

View attachment 75845

View attachment 75846

View attachment 75848

I mocked the body up and took some measurements, made a new A pillar from styrene and at the same time made a top for the sill cover and covered up an unsightly gap on the passenger door which would have shown with the engine cover up. Some milliput has been added to the drivers door frame as it needs to be about 1mm thicker. The A pillar looks to chunky and needs to be thinned a little bit.

View attachment 75849

View attachment 75850

View attachment 75851

Also started on the 'Kick ass leaf blower' which bizarrely has great big hollow bits which are fully visible when assembled?? Filled these as much as possible with styrene rod and will finish off with putty.

View attachment 75852

About 8 hours in the cave today and it doesn't feel like too much got done. Next problem, figure out how to hinge the door...

Jason

DSC01111.JPG

DSC01113.JPG

DSC01115.JPG

DSC01119.JPG

DSC01120.JPG

DSC01122.JPG

DSC01118.JPG

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I had a 405 once.......................................looked a bit different than this.

J

John Huggins

Loving the detal going into this one keep it up Jason.

John

First Name
Jason
Sorry for the lack of updates but modelling and forum time has been very limited lately.

I've been slowly painting all of the prepared parts in groups of one colour at a time and this weekend I managed to start some assembly and detail painting.

Spent most of today wrestling with the decals. These were very yellowed when I got the kit but they were taped to the man cave window for a couple of weeks and that seems to have done the trick. They were very brittle though so lots of patience was required. I'm happy with how they came out considering. Hopefully they'll be OK when I clearcoat over them. The Camel decals are from Virage, they're not 100% accurate but they'll do.

View attachment 77647

View attachment 77648

The engine almost ready...

View attachment 77649

View attachment 77650

View attachment 77651

View attachment 77652

And my headless mechanics. Never painted figures before and I cant bring myself to paint the heads yet for fear of buggering them up.

View attachment 77653

View attachment 77654

View attachment 77655

Hopefully it should start coming together a bit quicker now. Just have to figure out how to do the base.

Thanks for looking

Jason

DSC01136.JPG

DSC01132.JPG

DSC01137.JPG

DSC01137.JPG

DSC01138.JPG

DSC01139.JPG

DSC01148.JPG

DSC01150.JPG

DSC01151.JPG

1275GT

That lump looks rather nice, as does the rest of it :smiling3:

Cheers, Neil

P

Polux

Excellent engine!!! Those chrome parts looks spot on!!!

Very nice build so far.

First Name
Jason
So a quick update. Got the interior tub and roll cage mated to the engine, the fit wasn't brilliant so once it was glued I left it clamped up and in the vice for a couple of days and it all looks pretty square now. just the radiator and spare wheel left to fit.

View attachment 78637

View attachment 78640

View attachment 78644

As its going to be in a sort of diorama the interior has been weathered very slightly to give it a driven look. The seats originally had molded harnesses and it took a fair amount of time to sand them off and drill holes for the photoetch ones but worth it I think.

View attachment 78645

View attachment 78646

Hopefully get the body on at the weekend, should be finished soon.

Thanks for looking.

Jason

DSC01154.JPG

DSC01156.JPG

DSC01157.JPG

DSC01158.JPG

DSC01159.JPG

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Terrific attention to detail Jason. Cracking work...