Phils' 1/48 Eduard Fw190 D9

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
A little extra done with some more practicing on my weathering techniques, the blutac is temporary image.jpeg

This is all you will see from the inside along with a engine crank that I will be placing on the floor of the fuselage which I have already prepped. image.jpeg

D

dubster72

Very clever stuff Phil - it's amazing how much time & effort goes into something that is barely seen.

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
Cheers guys it much appreciated, some of this will be seen as the hatch to the aux tank and engine crank will be left open at the end, I just thought it would add a little extra interest to its long slender body.

It has become apparent that since my secon model I can't bring myself to do a build otb which is a little worrying!

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
So I have now glued the fuselage together here's a shot of it just beforeimage.jpeg

I have fitted the wing spar and struts ect and I have just spent the best part of a couple of hours replicating the wing guns barrels from hollow brass, but think it'll be worth it

image.jpeg

It seems as though it's going quite well considering everyone said about how many problems these can throw up, so I'm a little worried and expecting something bad to happen when I try to fit the fuselage and wings together... We'll see I guess

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
Read my last post on this now and you'll have a laugh when you come back and carry on here.....

Your back right? So I have had some problems getting the fuselage together! What a surprise.

Luckily I dry fitted some future parts which made me realise it wasn't quite right, a bit of extreme but careful squeezing and adding some extra thin little by little and I think it may be ok.

Here are some recent picture updatesimage.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The last shot is of the instrument panel hood, I have rolled a small white tac sausage and added it on to emulate the leather trim.

Hopefully by end of play tomorrow it will start to look more like a plane.

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
So some filling with plasticard and putty has had to take place

image.jpeg

I finished filling last night and started some sanding which I finished this morning, a little rescribing with my cheap dentist style tools (which I filed to suit) and dymo tape along with some re-riveting aloud me to get the tail plane and rudder fixed along with the ailerons.

image.jpeg

Ready for primer!

D

dubster72

Told you some filling would be needed Phil! Great result though, it's gonna look good with some paint on.

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
As I'm still a relative newbie I'm still making notes, for example the more open bays the more fiddly intricate masking needs to be done! Obvious really here's an example

image.jpeg

Anyway trusty Vallejo primer appliedimage.jpeg

image.jpeg

Turbo charger intake and guard (above made from brass sheeting) to be applied and then some very careful thought needs to be given as I have decided to go all in and paint rather than decal the die wurger-staffel red and white undercarriage, wish me luck guys

Phil

Last edited by a moderator:

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
Just realised I started this kit on the 30th Dec so I've set myself a goal to get it finished by the end of Feb.

Anyway here's the fruits of tonight's labour, cutting equal size strips of tamiya tape with two Stanley blades taped together sandwiching a card spacer. Slow work but I'm fairly pleased hopefully the rest of the masking will be finished tomorrow as I'm anticipating my order of mr Color paints turning up from John on Thursday.

Let me know what you think guys.

Cheers

Phil

image.jpeg

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Just caught up with you on this Phil and boy your definatly have made a cracking Dora so far ( love all r detailing your doing. Really ingenious with the open panel and interior scratch ( sweet )

That Tamiya tape and e currier is a very neat trick

Really is coming on a treat

Regards

Robert

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
\ said:
Just caught up with you on this Phil and boy your definatly have made a cracking Dora so far ( love all r detailing your doing. Really ingenious with the open panel and interior scratch ( sweet )
That Tamiya tape and e currier is a very neat trick

Really is coming on a treat

Regards

Robert
Cheers Robert glad you like it so far. Just hope I can do it justice when it comes to the camo on the upper parts, it will be my first time airbrushing camo freehand and it's quite a haphazard scheme. Looking forward to it but I think I need a little more practice first.

Cheers

Phil

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
Wow, just used hobby color aqueous from mr hobby for the first time after buying some along with some mr Color and their levelling thinner. It went through the airbrush like a dream and covered beautifully with a few passes. Once I've used the water based and the laquer based mr hobby paints a bit more I may even do a little review as a few people (including myself) have asked questions about them recently.

Here we areimage.jpeg