Phils' 1/48 Eduard Fw190 D9

Nice work (and great masking) on those stripes! I'm a Mr Hobby convert myself, used them for the first time on my recent build and will definitely do so again!

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
\ said:
Nice work (and great masking) on those stripes! I'm a Mr Hobby convert myself, used them for the first time on my recent build and will definitely do so again!
Cheers Matt, the masking took me a good couple of evenings to get right and I wasn't sure if the white was white enough as I was roughly guessing where the stripes were gonna be and then preshaded around them for the red, but the white pops just nice with that red laid down now even though I toned the white down with some light grey. If it was pure white I'm sure it would have just looked wrong.

Cheers

Phil

F

Fenlander

Love the work you have put into this build Phil. Very interested in your thoughts on the paints as I am looking at clearing my old stock and starting anew. I do love Tamiya paints but they just don't make it easy with the colours, the Mr Hobby have the colours and appear much like Tamiya so could well be the route to go down.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice paint work Phil. That Mr Hobby stuff sounds great.

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
\ said:
Love the work you have put into this build Phil. Very interested in your thoughts on the paints as I am looking at clearing my old stock and starting anew. I do love Tamiya paints but they just don't make it easy with the colours, the Mr Hobby have the colours and appear much like Tamiya so could well be the route to go down.
Definitely give them a go Graham, the mr hobby aqueous is water based and I have been thinning it with mr hobby levelling thinner (which I decantered in to a dropper bottle, it also work well with famous and the main bottle will last forever). I have but haven't tried their lacquer based "mr Color" yet but that's supposed to be good when also thinned with the same thinner.

Done some more airbrushing tonight, some block and some intricate camo work. It went down a treat again and even though this was my first time doing freehand camo work and it took me a while, it stayed fluid and sprayed no probs.

Cheers

Phil

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
So four colours are involved with the rest of the scheme. The greens and brown violet on the tail are all mr hobby aqueous, using these paints again I must say I'm really impressed, the levelling thinner apparently has a retarder and it sprays so well, considering this was my first time doing freehand camo work some of the colours where in the cup for a while while I faffed about but I had no drying or blockages once!

I want to add some paint chips by dry brushing, shall I varnish first or do the chips then varnish and add decals?

Sorry for the ropey pictures any comments criticisms on the camo would be appreciatedimage.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

D

dubster72

That looks really good Phil, the colours are deep & rich with a great finish.

I'd varnish, decal & then matt coat before adding the chips. It'll take better over a matt surface than a gloss one & any chips caused through wear & tear would happen after the markings were painted at the factory.

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
\ said:
Is this finished yet?
Nope been so busy mate, I have done more though. The canopy is done all I need to do is get the step up, pilot tube and little bits on them I'm done. Hopefully should have some completed posts this weekend