• TRUMPETER US Navy F9F-2p "Panther"

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
Hi All,

So I feel as though I really want to get involved in a group build and I've threatened to Polux that I might do it soon!

I feel as though I've learnt enough over the best part of a year in the hobby to give it a fair crack so I thought I might give you guys the choice of what I'll build, just to say thanks and for a bit of fun, there are three jet options from the US in 4 1/48 kits.

Please bare in mind that Tony (Yak Face) has already completed the "The Huff" Sabre in 1/72.

If anyone has any experience with any of these kits then let me know I will probably be picking one of these kits up tomorrow so please get your votes in, kit shots below

Cheers Guys

Phil

Mig Killer.jpg

Panther.jpg

The Huff.jpg

Thunderbirds.jpg

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
1 mig killer 2 panther 3 thunderbird is my order of preference :smiling3:

Good luck with your build cheers John

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
I too say panther as I think the Sabre not a bad jet fighter but the panther just looks a little better IMHO

Regards

Robert

First Name
Jimbob
Panther for me think it looks quite menacing on the box art

Plus I like naval aircraft.

Jim

Lee W

Rum before 10 makes you a pirate not an alcoholic
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Panther for me...don't get me wrong, I like the Sabre but the Panther just has the edge on it

Lee :smiling3:

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
Hi guys, little bit of a amendment I'm afraid, it's not the trumpeter Panther but the monogram version, the same version basically.

Alas the Panther looks like the clear winner so I have now purchased it and this will be the subject.

Cheers for whoever voted, and this may well be my next build.

Phil

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
I voted panther phil as its a great looking aircraft like the sabre. I also like the thunderjet too but didnt think the thunderbirds livery really went with the korean war theme. Even better that its the monogram kit!! I LOVE the good monogram stuff and this is one ive never seen built so im looking forward to the progress , cheers tony

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
\ said:
MiG Killer for me Phil
\ said:
1 mig killer 2 panther 3 thunderbird is my order of preference :smiling3:
Good luck with your build cheers John
\ said:
I vote Panther. It would be something different.
\ said:
I too say panther as I think the Sabre not a bad jet fighter but the panther just looks a little better IMHO
Regards

Robert
\ said:
The Panther is my vote ;)
Good luck!! And thanks to join in :smiling3:
\ said:
Panther for me think it looks quite menacing on the box art
Plus I like naval aircraft.

Jim
\ said:
I've gone for the Panther there's been a few Sabre builds just lately.
\ said:
I voted panther phil as its a great looking aircraft like the sabre. I also like the thunderjet too but didnt think the thunderbirds livery really went with the korean war theme. Even better that its the monogram kit!! I LOVE the good monogram stuff and this is one ive never seen built so im looking forward to the progress , cheers tony
Hi guys

Thank for your votes and interest, the panther won with 7 votes, sabre was 2nd with 5.

Here's a picture of the box and as said I'll probably make this my next build. The kit looks nice actually.

One thing I'm a little confused with and hope someone can shed some light is that there is some really nice detail but some of the panel lines are raised and some invert, it doesn't look bad Infact it sort of adds a little more of a dimension. Would this have been the case on the real jet or would It be more accurate to sand and rescribe?

Cheers

Philimage.jpeg

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Hi Phil I've looked at some ref pics and I think there is a mixture of raised and deeper panel lines and I'm no jet expert but I think this was to do with airflow on the wing tips and fuselage as it was not a very big aircraft if you look at today's jets

Found some pics for you if helps

Robert

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
\ said:
Hi Phil I've looked at some ref pics and I think there is a mixture of raised and deeper panel lines and I'm no jet expert but I think this was to do with airflow on the wing tips and fuselage as it was not a very big aircraft if you look at today's jets
Found some pics for you if helps

Robert

View attachment 148890 View attachment 148892 View attachment 148891
Cheers Robert that's handy

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
I reckon its just the age of the kit phil , recessed panel lines are a fairly recent thing and if the tooling is older then its just how kits were then . As for if its more realistic , on a scale model neither engraved or raised are totally representative of the real thing so its just up to personal preference , if you like the look of engraved then re scribe if it doesn't bother you then with a little care you can retain the raised lines . Either way im looking forward to seeing the build , cheers tony