Pin-up Lancaster

First Name
Mike
Revell 1/72 Lancaster, not much added except I replaced the wheels and props from an Airfix kit as they're more accurate. Decals are a combination of Xtradecal and my own (nose-art) to represent 'Pistol-Packin Mama' of RAF 100 Sq.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
That's a beauty,hard to believe it's in 1/72. I love the wear on the wing walkways.

Steve

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Very nice Lanc. I agree with Steve the finish is excellent and the new markings look great.

Cheers Paul

First Name
Dave
Thats the best model lancaster i've seen and i've seen quite a lot of them.i'm very impressed with the exhaust stains as they are not just black streaks.Excellent job.

B

Bunkerbarge

This is weathering at it's best. Subtle but effective and very realistic. The exhaust stains are the more obvious but the panel lines are beautifully done as is the very carefully applied paint chippings on leading edges and the bomb bay doors and engine intakes are superb, very difficult to get just right on a black painted surfaces.

It does put a smile on my face though to think that the Airfix parts are more acurate than the Revell parts!

just one thing I would raise as an observation is the fact that the roundels have been applied to the wings before the weathering effects were added so the roundels look perfect with the panel lines going across them, making the roundels really look like they are painted on. You haven't done the same with the insignia though so the lettering on the fuselage sides do not have the panel lines going across them and look a bit odd when compared to the roundels.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
i'm very impressed with the exhaust stains as they are not just black streaks.Excellent job.
The greyish streaking was,I'm told,due to the high lead content of the fuel. It's spot on on Mike's model.

It could get a lot worse,here's an extreme case!

Steve

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Superb job mike, great custom decals too You should make your own and sell them,maybe you could get a 'grant ' off the government!!?LOL:winkingshades: Cheers tony,

T

tecdes

+ Reply to Thread

I am scared. Building a Lancaster at the moment.

Only hope it turns out half as good as this.

Laurie

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Er, I have just tipped all my modelling stuff in the bin......

How can us mere mortals hope to match this wonderful model??

Ron

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Excellent job Mike. I have a 1/48 Tamiya to build and i can only hope it comes out half as good as that. How did you do your nose art? I'm hoping to try and either buy a decal of Just Jane or have a go at making it myself if i can find a decent pic.

First Name
Mike
Thank you all for your kind comments, I'm glad you like it. The Revell kit is lovely to build, lots of options for the bomb bays and nice interior detail.

\ said:
just one thing I would raise as an observation is the fact that the roundels have been applied to the wings before the weathering effects were added so the roundels look perfect with the panel lines going across them, making the roundels really look like they are painted on. You haven't done the same with the insignia though so the lettering on the fuselage sides do not have the panel lines going across them and look a bit odd when compared to the roundels.
You know Richard, I've looked at the model numerous times and thought there was something not quite right with the codes, and I think you've just nailed the problem – thank you. It's too late to highlight the panel lines with a wash but I can probably achieve it with a sharp draftsman's pencil and that should look subtle enough.

Superb job mike, great custom decals too You should make your own and sell them,maybe you could get a 'grant ' off the government!!?LOL:winkingshades: Cheers tony,
Very clever Tony, very clever ;)

First Name
Mike
\ said:
Excellent job Mike. I have a 1/48 Tamiya to build and i can only hope it comes out half as good as that. How did you do your nose art? I'm hoping to try and either buy a decal of Just Jane or have a go at making it myself if i can find a decent pic.
Thanks Allyne, I found some good reference of the original Vargas nose art, scanned it in and cleaned it up in Photoshop. I'm fortunate to own an ALPS printer so I was able to also create a white underlay for the decal. Here's a nice reference of the "Just Jane" nose art: http://www.haynes.co.uk/lancaster/images/gallery/Lancaster%20Manual%20-%20JustJane.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I missed this one ! But anyway, it's been a long time since I've seen a Lancaster this good. It's one of thoses models that just makes me stop and look that bit harder. Very well done. Have some of these ****

Regards

Colin M.......

T

tecdes

Mike I keep coming back to look as I am building a Lancaster.

What interest me is that not only is the model one of the best I have seen ( in my very humble opinion) but the photography is top notch stuff.

Could you let us in on what camera you used & what settings ? What lense. How far away from the model. How you lit the model & how you set up the model, back ground etc.

Laurie

W

wanna_be_aviator

It's plainly a masterpiece! I dream to get to that level in only a few decades. Keep us all inspired! beers and cheers.

First Name
Mike
Thanks for the kind words Marcos and Hunty :smiling3:

\ said:
Mike I keep coming back to look as I am building a Lancaster.What interest me is that not only is the model one of the best I have seen ( in my very humble opinion) but the photography is top notch stuff.

Could you let us in on what camera you used & what settings ? What lense. How far away from the model. How you lit the model & how you set up the model, back ground etc.

Laurie
Thanks Laurie. The model was built 3 years ago so I don't remember all of the details but the EXIF data tells me I used my 28-105mm lens on my Canon Digital Rebel, 1.6 sec exposure at f.22. I used two lights with reflectors and diffusers, set either side of the backdrop (which is just a sheet of grey paper curving upwards and pinned to the wall). Camera was set on a tripod. The Canon allows me to set a manual white balance so the colour of the lighting wasn't an issue. Hope that helps.

T

tecdes

Thanks Mike for taking the time.

Thought that it must be a long exposure as there is so much detail. Trained in video work but although allied found that still photography is a near totally different expertise.

Laurie