Pin wash weathering questions

C

Cooperman69

Hi All,

I've not yet tried weathering with an oil based pin wash and for the past couple of years just used Flory washes.

I want to try the oil based wash as quite like the effects it gives but before I do I'd like to know if using oil and white spirit over an acrylic finish is safe? I mainly use Vallejo or Tamiya acylics and seal with Klear before applying a wash.

Also if it's safe to do then are there any tips on applying an oil wash? I believe it's the burnt umber colour I'm looking for after doing some searching.

Thanks,

Colin.

D

dubster72

Colin, I apply all my pin washes over an acrylic clear coat without any problems at all.

The most important thing is to allow plenty of time for the clear coat to cure. The vast majority of problems that people encounter are due to rushing that stage.

I leave it for at least 48 hours, usually double that ;)

As for your choice of colour, it's entirely personal. Mix up a shade that best suits the model; burnt umber wouldn't work so well over grey, a very dark grey is better. But use good quality oil paints, such as Windsor & Newton - more expensive than some, but their pigments are much finer.

Cheers

Patrick

C

Cooperman69

Thanks Patrick.

It was the Windsor and Newton I had in mind after reading a few guides and reviews. Also may get the scent free white spirit if I can find some.

So it really depends on the base colour as to what oil colour to use? I just thought that for say an oil stain then I'd use umber and then for shading then maybe a dark grey. Looks like a bit of testing is in order then :smiling3:

Once you have applied the oil and it is dry then can you still play around with the finish if your not happy with it?

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
It really depends what you are trying to do. Generally a wash applied to panel lines, around access hatches etc would be dark or black as the idea is to 'pop' the detail.

If you are looking to dirty up wheel wells, engine bays then running an oily coloured wash along the detail might be more appropriate.

Simulating some oil stains at the back of spinners or on engines etc then something approximating oil is required. For oil I use a mixture of black and burnt sienna as this looks suitably oil like to my eye. I don't always apply this as a pin wash, particularly on engines.

Cheers

Steve

C

Cooperman69

Thanks for the reply Steve, I'll get some different colours and have a practice I think.

I do prefer the effects of oils over the water based washes.

Atb, Colin.

D

danntheman

A question guys, which is best panel line colour to use with french blue, on corsair?

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
\ said:
A question guys, which is best panel line colour to use with french blue, on corsair?
Personally I'd suggest a lighter-grey wash. Black will disappear on French or US Navy blue. Have a look on Google and you will see what I mean.

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
I have been using oils for pin washing the last couple of models and have used (I think it's Windsor and Newton or daler infact maybe both) oils that are mixable with water and I use de ionised water to dilute them. They worked a trick and are obviously very safe and easy to use.

D

demon

Hi I use Windsor and Newton oils and odorless thinners all the time over tamiya acrylics I don't clear coat either just make sure it's dry properly couple of hours if you airbrush the paint indoors just my way

D

Deleted member 3568

Well I'm rubbish at it, I just use my dirty thinners I clean my brushes in, I have no hope of achieving the subtle effects I've seen time and again on here, just can't get the hang of it, and as for pre shading, I need to learn to use my airbrush better before I try that.