Pink Panther's 'Crashed Tilly'

P

Polux

Hi to All!!!

My project is this small British Utillity Car. It's achallenge to creates an effect of crash on this vehicle, but an advantage is that, nonetheless, it takes the whole complete engine and it will stay very well I think. The diorama will be very small as you can see in the last photo( perhaps bigger if I see the set goes poor) My intention is to recreate one of these photos of WWII books where there are tanks and vehicles left / destroyed near the road. There will be many changes in it... My first intention was to create a tank, but they don't have interior and I don't have sufficient level to create it in scratch build... I wait you like this idea!!

Thanks for looking and luky for all members of this SIG!!!

Go for it!!!

:cowboy:

View attachment 44235

View attachment 44236

View attachment 44237

p1010021.jpg

P1010022.jpg

p1010023.jpg

S

sprayman

Look forward to following this mate......shame your going to crash a great Tamiya kit...:smile1:

B

Boldman

That is a lovely little kit. I built one last year for the Truck GB and put it in a diorama (link in my sig). Will be very interested in what you do with it.

Check out the tilly register site, there are galleries of people restoring old ones which will show you pictures of the insides and internals.

Good luck!

P

Polux

Thanks mates!!

The challenge is this!!! The vehicle is very small!!

Thank you very much for your idea Andrew, I will look to learn and will look for your Kit to observe!!

It's certain Ray, is a great Kit of Tamiya .... and I'm going to destroy it... :granade:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Polux, good to see you are doing this 'Crash' SIG. too...

I will be watching your build with interest.....Here's to March 1st.

Cheers,

Ron

P

Polux

\ said:
Polux, good to see you are doing this 'Crash' SIG. too...I will be watching your build with interest.....Here's to March 1st.

Cheers,

Ron
Thanks Ron!! Nice to build to your 'side'!!

I hope more people come too, I think it's a very interesting SIG, and will come 'magical' dioramas, I'm sure...

Regards

Polux

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Sounds good to me. And that Tilly is a gem of a kit.

Ian M

First Name
Aaron
Wicked polux i like your previous stuff. Im sure this will look good too.

I have this in 1/48 scale in the post that i want to do as raf.

I look forward to seeing yours get built =)

B

Boldman

Ah if you have the 1:48 Tilly then I'm afraid Tamiya is fooling you into thinking it can be portrayed as an RAF vehicle. Tamiya made the mistake of using a post-war restoration of an Austin Tilly in RAF blue as the basis of their research which compounds two problems:

1) The RAF didn't use Austin Tillys, they used Standard or Hillman Tillys which look considerably different.

2) After early 1940 they were not painted RAF blue but conventional "Micky Mouse" pattern camoflage.

This is a real shame as the only people who do a Standard Tilly are Accurate Armour who do a resin one at £26 here Military Models and 1/35 Scale Models by Accurate Armour I built one for my Battle of Britain Diorama

Accurate Armour also do a 1:35 Hillman Tilly ( Military Models and 1/35 Scale Models by Accurate Armour ) but not a 1:48 version and as far as I can tell nobody is making a Morris Tilly.

For all Tilly goodness, check out The Tilly Register

P

Polux

Thank you for your help in this project!!

Thanks to all for your information I have discovered many things, and even I like to make more this model!!

I never imagined that this vehicle was so popular, probably it's for that here (spain) we don't know it...

Very well, I don't have excuse not to try to build a good model. Ultimately I have decided that also it will be inflamed.

I have a question Andrew, your model has the supports of the top Soft or canvas (it seemed to me to see), in my Kit they are not!!! I ask myself Why!!?? You know?

Thanks again for your help and all for your nice comments!

Best regards

Polux

C

CDW

you're going to have the car on fire?

brilliant idea, can't wait to see how you do that.

I'll be watching this build with interest polux

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
If you mean the supports for the canvas roof you can bend a bit of wire into shape for that. If you mean the cab's roof, its because the're two different types of tilly.

Tilly is a short version of utility vehicle. The Tamiya is I believe an Austin the one Andrew showed is a Standard.

Are you really going to have it on fire?? That would be so cool.....

Ian M

B

Boldman

In my Austin Tilly build, which was the 1:35 Tamiya Kit that you are using I used some wire bent into shape to represent the canvas "tilt" supports. They don't come with the kit I just made them. Thankfully you don't have to have them perfect because in reality they were a bit out of shape through use anyway :smiling3: its a very simple conversion that shows the back of the Tilly off nicely.

You can see them here during construction:

View attachment 40992

While building this I made a bit of a mess of the camo and ended up leaving the "micky mouse" black camo pattern off, but there were so many of these in so many colour schemes that I thought I could get away with it :smiling3:

Apart burned canvas tilt would look pretty spectacular I reckon! You could probably represent the canvas with pva soaked tissue and stretch it over the wires to get the right amount of sag.

View attachment 44655

DSCF3674.jpg

Last edited:
First Name
Aaron
So wait what?? Andrew your post blew me doing a raf tilly like the option offered by tamiya out of the water lol Tamiya shouldnt be allowed to do that.

I guess ill have to just give it to swmbo then as she doesnt know (or care) how accurate my models are.

What a bummer tho, Thanks for that input Andrew

B

Boldman

Sorry Aaron, I didn't mean to burst your bubble :sad: I must admit I've still got my 1:48 Tamiya Tilly in the stash. The 1:35 as shown here is a beautiful model and the Accurate Armour Standard Tilly is a lovely little model ;)

In the end its about making a nice model, historical accuracy is all well and good but it should be about enjoying the model and making something interesting...

First Name
Aaron
\ said:
In the end its about making a nice model, historical accuracy is all well and good but it should be about enjoying the model and making something interesting...
True that.

I appreciate corrective knowledge always.Ian no bubble burst mate cheers for letting me know. I read through pages of blogs looking for information like you shared

P

Polux

Thank you very much boys!!!

That great debate... :judge:

My first option of painting it is the color 'Khaki Green', which corresponds to the 47th (London) Infantry Division, United Kingdom. There are two options with the camouflage 'Mickey Mouse', but don't like to me the dark color on both. Now that I have decided do it on fire, well ... few painting will stay!! I have a small intuition to do on fire, but it's my first attempt, some advice friends?

I'm making now the supports of the canvas with bars of aluminium, thanks for your advice.

Regards

First Name
Aaron
I agree with you polux about the mickey mouse dark on dark its not really my first choice either, sorry i havent done a burnt out of a model but i have seen a few smashing ones online. a quick search should return some great views. Good luck