PJs Panther build.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
There's a brief explanation of this build over in chit chat in case you're wondering if I've changed my name.

Customary box and sprue shots:
IMGP2537.JPGIMGP2538.JPGIMGP2539.JPGIMGP2540.JPG

The completed turret. PJ did 90% of this, although I did help him with the fiddly bits on the rear hatch. Plenty of glue on the barrel fortunately enabled him to clean up the join line just by sanding. He did have to use a little putty around the back of the turret top, but he managed that very well (I did make him put masking tape alongside the join to keep down the mess).
IMGP2572.JPGIMGP2573.JPG

I forgot to take pictures of the next stages of the build. We used a circular template to mask the tyres for painting, but I had to do quite a bit of tidying up for him. Even so, all of the hull painting (his first time with an airbrush although I did make him practise on a few old bottles and cans from the bin first) and 80% of the build on the hull was done by PJ (I fitted the hull MG and barrel lock as he wanted to make sure they would move and they were too fiddly for him).

He did the base colour and I offered to help with the camo. I showed him several pictures and sorted out both green and brown paints. He put the green on first and got lots of overspray. He was disappointed with the result but decided not to bother when I said he'd have to respray the base coat if he wanted to change anything. All of the hand tools were brush painted and fixed by PJ. The shiny bits are where he's put down some Klear for the decals.
IMGP2603.JPGIMGP2604.JPGIMGP2605.JPGIMGP2606.JPG

He thought his mom had thrown away the box with the decals and other bits (tow ropes, turret MG and spare links) so we found out some old decals for a Tiger. I daresay the experts will know which Tiger, but PJ is happy he has a tank which looks like a Panther
IMGP2607.JPGIMGP2608.JPGIMGP2609.JPGIMGP2610.JPG

I'm hoping to persuade him to bring it back next week so we can add the other bits and give it a matt coat and maybe a wash. He's a bit reluctant as he considers it's finished and wants to move onto another build.

He really wants to do either a Leopold or Morser (with rail carts) in 1/72 next, but I'm trying to persuade him to set his sights a bit lower and do a few more basic kits before starting something so ambitious! I've dug out a few old 1/35 trucks which have been started (they were included in a job lot of kits I bought many years ago and I was keeping them for either spares or some sort of wreck dio). I think I'm going to put my foot down with a firm hand and get him to do those next!

PS Just noticed we forgot a couple of handles too. We'll fix them if he brings it back next week.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Nice one Dave. Top marks for helping the lad.
It doesn't matter a fig what others think of the build, P.J. has himself a tank.

He's made a nice job of the spraying. I'm sure if ever I were to have go with an A.B. my first effort would not be a patch on his.

His work on the tools is very neat.

Please forward my congrats to him on a job well done.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Thanks Ron. I'll pass your comments on to him. He'll be dead chuffed as he thinks you're an amazing builder (As do we all).

PS His first attempt with an A/B is MUCH better than mine was!

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Like Ron says Dave that is a fantastic first attempt, better than my first. Also great airbrushing too. Like you said PJ as a tank and one to be proud of, if he thinks it's finished or not.
Yes and put your foot down with a firm hand about the next build. Don't want PJ to get too disheartened .

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Dave.
Just come across this little gem, good for him.
No wonder he's happy, tell him well done.
John.