Plastic Filler for small gaps

C

Caledonia

Thought I had one of those ‘Eureka’ moments, when experimenting on how to fill in those small gaps on plastic models, then thought I had better check to see if someone else had beaten me to it on this web site, and they had, ‘stona’ had beaten me. However thought it might still be useful to add my penny-worth to add to the knowledge base.

Have been experimenting with various fillers and nail varnish remover, and for me the best mix so far is Squadron Products White Putty and Cutex Nail Varnish Remover – MUST CONTAIN ACETONE (from Boot’s etc).

I put a small amount of putty on a plastic palette and a drop of the nail varnish remover, mix the two together, and wet a cotton bud with the mix and apply to the gap area. I then leave for a minute, and with a clean cotton bud dipped in the nail varnish remover I wipe the area clear of all residues. The nail varnish remover does not damage the plastic but removes all of the putty, including any old hardened putty. No damage to panel lines or rivets etc, must better than sanding.

Hope this is of some use to someone.