Please stop censoring “M‌M”

Jakko

First Name
Jakko
The forum appears to be set up to censor “Mil‌Mod” and “M‌M”. Please disable that for at least the latter — it makes it very hard to write things like “1 m‌m” as that comes out as “1 Another forum” … It also played havoc with links to images in a few of my threads, as they included “Ex-Mil‌Mod-forums” in the URL.

John

Administrator
Administrator
We did it to try and stop people keep starting threads about MM, hopefully to get people to move on, I've removed mm from the censor.

Jakko

First Name
Jakko
I figured that was probably the reason, but the snag is that “mm” stands for something else fairly important in modelbuilding as well :smiling3: Thanks for fixing it, as that means I won’t need the little hack I used to post the above anymore.

Wouter

First Name
Wouter
I'm not a big fan of censoring whatsoever but I do understand why you're doing it. The only thing is, there was also a magazine which called like that. Not that I'm planning at referring to it but still I find it odd.

Anywhoo, the other place is behind me, time to continue building :P

Cheers

scottie3158

First Name
Paul
personally speaking it is time to move on it is now gone completely this is my new home with some great builders and some great banter.

First Name
Michael
Sorry, missed this conflab.
Censoring, as an ex member of 'that' modelling forum, I was disgusted that it was taken down in such as it was. Censoring, but to censor the subject, or to censor even the mention of it is purile, would you censor Tamiya, Dragon, Takom etc etc, no of course not. There was quite an attachment to the site and reference to it is not meant as a comparison. I will freely admit that I joined three other sites before this one, and this was my choice. Is it any better than what I have just left, or is it any worse, there is no comparison as far as i am concerned. I am now a member of this site and that is where I will stay untill I am either booted off or stop modelling. But if I am going to be censored for trying to explain my modelling procedure, then I think a full unedited list of words I am not allowed to print should be available to all members.
That's my five pence worth, take it or leave it.

beowulf

Styrene Bodger
First Name
Paul
pretty normal stuff really.....any forum admin is usually able to filter words they dont want to see used.......one i used to go on had every swear word imaginable in the filter which would change it to another word,....every few months they would change the chosen word just for a laugh,,,,,,words like rabbit or paint brush or artichoke would get used lol

John Race

SMF Poster
First Name
John
Well I was " there " now I'm here, and here to stay !
I can quite understand the reason behind any concern over threads about the other now defunct site. Suddenly a great influx of new members appear who all know each other and then continue to refer to the other site.
People as a whole don't like change, think of remarks such as " it wasn't like that when I was a lad " .
Given time mentions of the other forum will fade.
John

Jim R

First Name
Jim
Well said John. I totally agree. I am here. I like it here. I have been made welcome here. The old site is finished. We enjoyed it but in the end we were treated appallingly.
Had to smile at Paul's post.
Jim

First Name
David
I've drawn the line, and I'm more than happy here! - New places, and new faces can be a little edgy, it'll take a while to settle down, and gauge the 'tone' of the site. One point that is has emphasised is keep copies of your photos on your own hard drive/dvd/usb stick! I'm suspicious of 'cloud storage', and there's nothing like keeping things under your own control
Cheers
Dave

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
First Name
Ron
and gauge the 'tone' of the site.
........just to help. This site has always been blessed with a friendly, open nature and a fun place to be.

Serious heads are firmly fixed on when opening the kit box, but there is still an easy going attitude to the builds.

Politics, Religion and Current Affairs etc. are for other forums.

What none of us like to read is caustic and abrupt Posts.

Lots of love.

Ying Tong Song

First Name
Kevin
I think it's mentioned more as a simple point of reference than a comparison or even slight.
I've never understood the 'competitive' attitudes found in some forums toward others of the same subject.

Certainly some will prefer one over another for various reasons, but that's a personal choice, and shouldn't be aired publicly to the detriment of others and their preferences.
Discord serves no one but trouble makers.

I'm here to learn and share, and keep up with the continuing projects of those I'd like to think are my online modelling friends.
It just happened that I found the other one first and settled in there.

Now we're here, and hope to add to the site's value rather than detract.

Jakko

First Name
Jakko
I've never understood the 'competitive' attitudes found in some forums toward others of the same subject.
Probably for the same reason people go “my football team is better than your football team” — and you can substitute pretty much any group for “football team” in that sentence. In other words: us-vs.-them-thinking. Of which I can’t see the point at all unless the “them” are actively trying to frustrate “us.”

First Name
Kevin
Friendly sports rivalry I get, but in the case of a hobby such as this it really is counter productive.
I've seen it evidenced in many subjects, to the point of being quite silly.

Seems like quite a good gang here, I'm sure we'll all get along well.

beowulf

Styrene Bodger
First Name
Paul

it wasnt so much as 'competition' as a lot of us being sick to death of seeing 'MM' or 'MilMod' everywhere. it was if you all just all just treated here as a ready made replacement for the one you had to leave, quite intimidating for those of us that was already here, there is several who havnt posted since you all got here

im sorry your forum closed, its something i have been through a few times and it was a horrible experience every time it happened but this is SM not MM, its time to move on

its been a couple of weeks now and im glad that so many are settling in

First Name
Kevin
Yeah, I do understand that.
I still feel a bit of an interloper, don't want to step on toes.

It's the people that make a forum, I was only on there for a bit over a year, so I'm a new member everywhere I go!
I've joined forums where there was, shall we say, less welcome to newcomers and that is bad for everyone.
I don't think we're trying to take over or change what you already have and enjoy.
There are some who were members of both, it's comforting to see some familiar names.

I just followed along when others posted they were moving after the closure announcement.
I want to keep up with projects already in progress, and I'll soon post my own which has been stalled over the winter months.

I won't say I don't miss it, but I'm not lamenting the demise, perfectly happy with this format.
It's been more of a trial for those who lost a lot of pictures and such.

As I said in my introduction post, I'm very happy to see there is a broad spectrum of modeling represented here from figures to model railroading.