Poly cement recommendations

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I use TET for the minor bits, and Revell Contacta for the major bits - I did have a flirtation with Roket Plastic Glue, by Deluxe, but found it too aggressive
Dave

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Thats interesting Jakko don't suppose we can get it in the UK
Not sure, Bison is a Dutch brand of glues and related products, but it’s also sold in other countries. Looking at the tin, the only thing it says about what’s in it, is that it contains more than 30% aliphatic hydrocarbons but that’s not going to help all that much in finding an equivalent product, I suppose.

I did find the material safety data sheet for it (in Dutch), and that mentions some of the constituents to be 10–25% methyl ethyl ketone, better known in modelling circles as MEK, and another 10–25% ethyl acetate, which is also a solvent.

However, the original purpose for which this stuff was sold, was as a thinner for Bisonkit contact adhesive; only for the last decade or so has it been called a “stain remover (also thinner)” on the packaging. So if you can find a thinner for contact adhesive in a DIY store, it might just be an idea to try gluing some spare bits of sprue together with it.

Reactions: JR

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Scott.
Like Baz I use EMA Plastic Weld almost exclusively. It is very thin and quite aggressive. If I need something to dry more slowly I use Revell Contacta.
Jim