Practice build to remember how to do it!

P

pointblank0

Hello all. Well, first model in many many years and a bit out of practice. Also, the first time I have experimented with an airbrush.

I bought this kit to practice all sorts of techniques on so thought I may as well keep a log of my progress on here.

The build I found quite difficult actually. I had to use loads of filler and had to hack away at quite a few bits. I didn't buy any extras as this is just a test tank so details are a little non existent.

I must say, I am very impressed with airbrushes, and only wish I had used them in the past. Very suprised how little paint they use. A little tricky though but I'm sure I will get smoother coats as I practice.

Grey photo shows the undercoat, the green is first layer of the base coat. I am using German green for this.

The kit I used was a 1/35 Emhar. (Not very impressed with it though, but couldn't find another maker for this tank)

View attachment 32996

View attachment 32997

100_3073.jpg

100_3076.jpg

H

Hunty22

Looking good fella. Hope you are really enjoying being back in the model world!

Steve

P

pointblank0

Loving it. I have a lot to learn, but a lot of time on my hands too:smiling3:

P

pointblank0

First part of German colour camo added. Now struggling with airbrush a little, a bit harder to use than I first thought. I msee the problem with using air cans now, they run out of pressure pretty quick so a bit inconvenient.

View attachment 33006

100_3078.jpg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Air cans not only give an inconsistent air supply but work out to be fairly expensive in the long run. Although a compressor is a substantial initial investment it will be well worth it if you stick with the hobby. That's a nice job you've made of your tank so I suspect you'll be doing more!

Cheers

Steve

P

pointblank0

Just trying to get the hang of airbrushing really. Never tried it before, so this tank will probably end up with 1000+ coats whilst I learn. I think a compressor is the way forward, as I intend to stick with this hobby. The rest of the basic camo will have to wait till the post man comes now.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Nice paint job Rob. You're a better man than I bungitin...I wouldn't have the nerve to even press the trigger on an A/B.!lol

Ron

P

pointblank0

I've done more harm than good with it so far! Been very tempted to brush paint it, but I am going to hang in there. Airbrushing is something I have always wanted to try since I was a kid. Anyway....beer time!

H

Hunty22

I started for the first time recently and bought a compressor and airbrush kit as recommended on this site. I have kept away from camo for the time being, just getting used to using the thing on plain colors and coats of Klear! Getting better every time I use it. Go for it mate, you wont regret it.

Steve

B

Bunkerbarge

The trouble with gas tins is that they put more modellers off than anything else. They really are a pain to use as they quickly start to loose pressure as they cool down and you find that the finish becomes inconsistent as you try to compensate for the decreasing gas pressure. Not only would I recommend a compressor but I would also very strongly advise that you buy one with an air reservoir, otherwise you are up against a similar situation with varying pressures.

One you have one of them your airbrushing will come on in leaps and bounds and you will wonder why you put up with such difficult to use gear.

P

pointblank0

Just ordered a compressor with air tank and an airnrush (dual action) came with it for £100. A bit cheaper than I thought really.

B

Boldman

One trick to use with the cans is to put them in room temperature water, this keep the gas pressure up and stops them cooling down so much. Its a bit scary when you first put the can in the water as it sounds like something is boiling in the can (actually there is, the butane which has condensed out because the temperature/pressure is so low) but it is perfectly safe.

P

pointblank0

Not to worry now. Compressor is really great. Fantastic bargain (I thought) and really easy to use.

P

pointblank0

Well, new airbrush and compressor arrived! YAY!

Brown bit of camo added, dulled down the ochra, trackes put on. Just waiting for varnish and transfer magic stuff to arrive then I'll start weathering.

View attachment 33069

100_3107.jpg

P

pointblank0

Well, gloss coated and transfers put on. Been a bit busy at work lately so a bit slow here. I'll apply another gloss coat I think then weather a bit (or try anyway)

View attachment 33189

17042011027.jpg

P

pointblank0

Well, I'm calling it a day on this one now. It was intended to be a practice build and have learnt a lot that I will change on future models.

Not too impressed with the Emhar kit (maybe just a bad kit, not sure, first one I have ever bought from this company), very little detail and quite poor casting.

Does anyone know who else makes these WW1 tanks 1/35 scale?

really enjoyed using the airbrush too, really glad I got it now and looking forward to using it for some basic tones on my next builds (think I will miss out camo themes for a while till I get more practice).

View attachment 33371

View attachment 33372

View attachment 33373

View attachment 33374

Picture2.jpg

Picture3.jpg

Picture1.jpg

Picture4.jpg

P

pointblank0

Actually, I have just had another idea. I want to make one of the wooden beams for the top (the one for getting it out of boggy stuff). I was thinking of using balsa and some small chain, maybe railway chain or something similar. The only thing that is bothering me, is that I can't figure out where the chaines were attached on the real thing. All the pics I have seen, doesn't show how they are attached. Does anyone have any ideas?

Rob

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi rob, sorry cant help with the chains but i must say ,thats a brilliant job youve done on the tank. Your camo looks great, i dont think youll have any problems getting used to the airbrush. cheers tony