Prepainted canopies

H

Halo Serene

Hi All, new to the forum here :smiling3:

First to say when I was a youth, my painting skills were good - no false modesty here :p. After an absence from Modelling of some 40 years (truly), those skills are now at the appalling stage :sad:

I have the Revell/Monogram 1/48 P-61A Black Widow kit. Given my skill level, there was no way I'd try to freeform paint the canopy - I got a masking kit to solve this, and apparently my placing of sticky shapes is about the same skill level, so I'm not convinced.

Question: is there a source for prepainted canopy sets (especially this kit, but good to know for others)?

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
Welcome Leo I have not heard of any sites for prepainted canopies.
Masking is the way to go masking sets are Easter but can pricy and sometimes hard to find but stick at it you will get better as time goes on.

Peej

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Welcome Leo. I have, in the past, slightly "cheated" with canopies by using a sharpie pen, as I found them a bit easier to use than a brush when I took up building again.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Persevere with the masking if you can Leo, for even if you get pre-painted canopies (I'm not aware of any available), the finish on the framing will stand out if it is different to the rest of the airframe once you apply the final varnishes and weathering