Primer

X

Xarathustra

I've been watching some airbrush tutorials on Youtube. there's mention of using a primer before applying any other coats, I believe to enable the other coats to stick better. Being ever so slightly impulsive, I immediately ordered some.
But is it really necessary for plastic models...in this case Tamiya?

I'm also hoping my Ganzton airbrush will be up to the job as I just couldn't justify the outlay for a 'proper' one. That, along with what appear to be colossal petrol powered compressors :smirk:

TIA

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I always prime. Is it totally necessary, probably not. Saying that, most of my models have some preshading and I tend to use primer for that.

prichrd1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
As Bob says above. I always use a primer coat. Depending on vehicle etc, usually grey, or red oxide - mainly from Halfords rattle cans.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
i always prime

mostly automotive primer from a rattle can but recently been trying Vallejo primer (not that impressed) and MiG One Shot Primer (pretty good)

X

Xarathustra

i always prime

mostly automotive primer from a rattle can but recently been trying Vallejo primer (not that impressed) and MiG One Shot Primer (pretty good)

I've bought Alclad primer. It'll be a while 'til I get spraying, so won't know if it's much good yet...

First Name
Wouter
Depends on the model and paint used. If it's an all plastic one and you use Tamiya or Mr. Hobby paints thinned with Lacquer thinner or Mr. Levelling thinner you don't really need primer since the paint 'bites' into the plastic.

Cheers

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi George
I always prime a model for a variety of reasons. Firstly I feel it gives the following paint coats a better 'grip', especially if PE has been used. Secondly a primer coat will show up any surface imperfections that may need sanding or filling. I personally like Stynylrez primer.
Jim

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi George,
I’m with Jim on this, his two reasons are very sound. There is a third reason as well, it evens out the model base colour before you add the top coat. Some colours are transparent (reds are notorius) and can show any areas of filler, plasticard, or brass parts etc. unless the model is primed first.
By the way, the best primer, in my opinion, is Tamiya grey or white. Much finer than anything else on the market, including car primer. I decant it into a bottle for airbrush use. I personally don’t get on with acrylic based primers as I find them difficult to sand if remedial work is required, but I know others use them and like them.
Cheers
Tim

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
George,
Priming is one of those steps that is up to you, you do that which gives you a good result, so trial and error. If you don't prime, I suggest you wash the surface with a mild detergent, rinse and allow to dry, before applying your basecoat. This will remove any residue from the manufacturers process, and some people have oily/greasy fingers!
Personally, I always prime, preferably a neutral colour, it gives a level playing field for what follows..............
Dave

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Jim introduced me to Stynylrez primer and I have never looked back. I wish they did more acrylic colours

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
there's mention of using a primer before applying any other coats, I believe to enable the other coats to stick better.
It does: primer has more “bite” than regular paint, and so holds onto the material better. This in turn enables any paints over it to adhere better too, because they’ll hold onto the primer.

But is it really necessary for plastic models...in this case Tamiya?
No. I generally only prime plastic models if they have widely differing colours over larger areas (like a light grey turret on a dark green hull, for example, resulting from swapping parts, or large areas of white plastic from scratchbuilding), or if the model is to have a light colour but the plastic is dark, or if there are metal parts on the model (because many model paints don’t stick that well to metal).

I'm also hoping my Ganzton airbrush will be up to the job as I just couldn't justify the outlay for a 'proper' one.
I buy spraying cans of primer. Don’t go for the cheapest you can find, though — my experience is that it tends to be thin, runny, and translucent.