PzKpfw II Ausf.D - 1./Panzer Abteilung 66, 1939 - 1/72 - First to Fight

vizenz

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andreas
Hello,
Today I would like to introduce you to another tank from my small collection.
This is also a model from First to Fight and is built almost completely out of the box. I like small, simple kits like these where I can focus on research and painting.

1a.png
IMG_20240421_162202.jpg

I have been researching the German tank troops of the Polish campaign for some time and have tried to model some of these vehicles.
The vehicle shown here belongs to Panzer Abteilung 66 (Battalion). This Abteilung went into the Polish campaign with 83 tanks divided into 3 companies. It was part of the 2.Leichte Division and as such was “verlastet” (truck-borne). This means that the vehicles were driven to the front on trucks, unloaded there and only then were used. This was supposed to make these units faster, but in reality it turned out to slow the advance. For example, because most bridges were not designed for the weight of trucks + trailers + 2 tanks and therefore had to be constantly unloaded and loaded.

IMG_20240421_162216.jpg
IMG_20240421_162251.jpg

A special feature of Panzerabteilung 66 was the use of very small turret numbers that could not be found in any other unit at the time. They also had large white flight visibility markings. The "100" I depicted was probably used by Hauptmann Rudolf Gerhardt during the campaign.
At the moment I am planning to build 5 different vehicles of the Panzerabteilung 66 (verlastet) for 1939 in 1/72. Two of them are already finished.

IMG_20240421_162309.jpg

Best regards,
Andreas

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
I like your historical approach with a lot of research to bring back to life real subjects as models.
The result is really good.
Looking forward to your next models.

vizenz

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andreas
Another cracker Andreas. The weathering is excellent.

I like your historical approach with a lot of research to bring back to life real subjects as models.
The result is really good.
Looking forward to your next models.
Thank you very much for the kind words. This positive response here pushes me back to the workbench :smiling4: