Q400 - just for fun

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Sometimes I get to build aircraft, or at least bits of them, in 1/1 scale. So I get to Riga on Sunday night and off to the airline I go on Monday to fix a broken Q400 nose landing gear (NLG) only to be told I have not one but two broken NLG's (on two different aircraft of course) to fix! The problem I have is that there is only one aircraft lifting jack which means I can only work one aircraft at a time.

Then the airline says to me that they don't know how to remove the NLG from the aircraft, they haven't done it before; can you do it, Rick? Erm......okay. I've never removed one either!

Two hours later the gear is removed, by 1700 the gear is dismantled to replace the broken bit and I go back to the hotel. The next day, the spares that I have, reliably, been informed will be delivered are stil in Canada. They still aren't in Latvia and I don't know when they will get here or when I will go home.

I have to make this pile of greasy bits......

View attachment 84719

.....look like this assembled landing gear.

View attachment 84720

And when I have done this one I have the second to do.

image.jpg

image.jpg

First Name
Gregg
Wow that is one realistic build ! ;) ;) ;) ;)

5 stars from me!

Gregg

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
wow a 1.1 scale lucky you and 2 of them at once, even the more fun,

L

Laurie

\ said:
Do you like the weathering?
yes i thought it very nice. Bit under done though.

Try harder next time Rick you will get the knack.

Looks like an Airfix.

Laurie

D

Deleted member 3568

I recon its an AMT kit you can tell because it's 1/2 inch too long and has the wrong size and number of rivets. Which glue did you use, and is it acrylic or enamel paints.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Grab the Haynes manual. ;) And we will be watching to make sure you use the correct paint colours too.

For your entertainment:

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
\ said:
Grab the Haynes manual. ;) And we will be watching to make sure you use the correct paint colours too.For your entertainment:

Great skills.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Re the Q300: Transport Accident Investigation Commission report found a faulty inhibit switch caused the loss of nosewheel steering on departure and was the cause of the landing gear later not extending normally. The pilots were unable to utilise the alternate extension system as they did not apply enough force to the release handle for the uplock (or possibly did not hold the release handle in position long enough for the uplock to disengage). This was found to be at least in part due to the flight simulators not requiring the full 40 kg (90 lbs) or more force as required in the actual aircraft.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
That's wheelie good mate :rolleyes:

I'll get my coat !

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well I think that you landed them both very well Joe. :smiling:

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Great job of detailing Rick. Those oil lines look real. Where did you get the pallet, or is it scratch built.

Ian M

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
\ said:
Re the Q300: Transport Accident Investigation Commission report found a faulty inhibit switch caused the loss of nosewheel steering on departure and was the cause of the landing gear later not extending normally. The pilots were unable to utilise the alternate extension system as they did not apply enough force to the release handle for the uplock (or possibly did not hold the release handle in position long enough for the uplock to disengage). This was found to be at least in part due to the flight simulators not requiring the full 40 kg (90 lbs) or more force as required in the actual aircraft.
I'm sure there was a similar problem with the Q400. As well as the SAS incidents.......but I can't say much about that!

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
\ said:
Great job of detailing Rick. Those oil lines look real. Where did you get the pallet, or is it scratch built.Ian M
Thanks for the compliments. I was up all day squirting oil on that gear to get the right effect!