Question on a Revell Kit

M

mawallace

Please forgive me as I am a bit of an beginner.

I am making the Revell Boeing 737-800 TUIfly „GoldbAIR“ Kit - 04268 -0389 and am confused at one of the paint steps.

The question I have is Paint L.

Does this man that you want us to:-

1. Paint the part with "371" and then , once dry

2. Paint over it with a 95% mix of "2" and 5% mix of "85"?

I attach a picture of the step in question is it helps to answer the question.View attachment 56418

View attachment 58489

paint.jpg

For me is more like for example 10ml of 371, 9.5 ml of 2 and 0.5ml 85.

First Name
Dave
Revell are telling you to mix some of their range of paints together to get the colour you need.Thats because they don't sell the colour you need and want you to use their paints.Your better off buying a colour from another manufacturers range that is close to the colour you need.Much cheaper than buying several paints to mix together as we'll.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Not to sure that the above advise is correct.

It might help a bit if you could show or tell the part that is to be painted this way.

I too read it as that you paint it first in the grey colour then once that has dried and had time to cure, paint over it with the mix of 95% clear varnish 5%brown. With those proportions of varnish and paint, it will be a very clear tinted coat of paint and I think the idea is that you should be able to see the base coat through it...

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Having found a photo of this aircraft, I am pretty sure that you are on the right track. The fuselage is a golden brown colour. I know the 'plain well.

You would get a good effect by painting the bits they say grey, Silver instead then painting the brown over that. I seem to recall it being a golden brown candy paint.

Ian M

First Name
Dave
Perhaps I miss understood.Would help to know what part the painting instructions are for.Found a couple of pics.Which one are you doing?.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Its the Goldbar one I think he is doing. Sorry for replying for you.

Ian M

M

mawallace

It is for the top one (Blue)

The insturctions are in full here:-

http://manuals.hobbico.com/rvl/80-4268.pdf

and it is the paint mix "L" that I do not uunderstand!

Mark

First Name
Dave
I can tell you for certain what Revell is trying to tell you to do.The paint instruction 'L' is for the inside of the undercarriage bays.all Boeing commercial aircraft are painted gloss white inside their undercarriage bays.Over the top of this an anti-corrosion compound called 'Dinitrol' or AV8 is applied roughly by hand with a brush.It is brown in colour,dries to a satin finish and is partly see through.You can trust me on this because I'm a Licensed Aircraft Engineer with type ratings on all 737 and 757 series aircraft.i can take a photo of an aircraft at work tomorrow and post it here if you like,so you understand what I'm on about.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well How wrong can one be!?! lol

Dinitrol... Thats what my car is rustprotected with. I know the colour it was all over the boot seals last winter.

Ian M

First Name
Dave
I was wrong with my first answer.Gave an opinion when I didn't have all the info!. Further to my second answer,Boeing spray the Dinitrol on.So it would it would look a golden brown translucent colour.Which is the finish Revell are after. Third party maintenance companies like the one I work for will usually get the mechanics to brush it on by hand because its nasty stuff.Not the sort of stuff you want to spray without proper personal protection.Plus you don't want to get it on electrical plugs etc.

First Name
Dave
A couple of pics that show you what I'm talking about.These are of the undercarriage bays of an Icelandair 757 which we are servicing in our hangar at Southend Airport.

The 737-800's bays have the same finish.

M

m1ks

That effect could be much more easily achieved with a quick oil wash using a brown tone over a white base paint.