Question

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi all,
I have a question for you more experienced people. What would cause the air brush to stop spraying mid flow, but on releasing the trigger it sprays a small amount.
Any pointers would be very welcome.
Scottie

First Name
Steve
If the needle chuck nut is tight and not slipping chances are partial nozzle blockages crud or bits of skin etc, not much else i can think of.

Steve.

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Agreed, blockage in the nozzle is probably the most likely cause.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi guys, are we sure this isn’t tip drying, with the dried paint block being circumvented when the needle closes and moves the tip forwards? Happens to me every time I use acrylics through an airbrush....what paint are you using Scottie?
Cheers
Tim

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Tim,
I use Vallejo acrylics most of the time. when I mix it is either to thick or comes out in large dropplets

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi Tim,
I use Vallejo acrylics most of the time. when I mix it is either to thick or comes out in large dropplets
Paul.
I had the same problem , got some Vallejo retarder from John at the shop.
I just add a couple of drops into the paint as per the instructions, mix and pour into the paint pot on the ab. Seems to have worked , even in this heat. Before I would have to clean the needle and the head. It would always be as Tim has said, a lump of crud would appear when I pushed the point of tool through the nozzle.
John.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Make that three...Tamiya with Mr Colour levelling thinners, match made in heaven, sprays like silk....I’ve tried several brands of acrylic and had the same issue with all of them...need a good mask though.
Cheers
Tim

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Scottie
Another possibility is that the needle is slightly bent near the tip. Take out the needle and roll it on a flat surface and watch the tip. You will easily notice if the point is bent.
Jim

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks all,

For the replies. I'm not sure if the tool fine adjustment is big enough.

Reactions: JR