Quick question about paint?

M

modelclimbs

Hi all, may be a dumb question but generally how many coats of paint would you need for this scenario? Doing my first 'proper' build and I am painting some seat cushions for a Krupp protze towing truck, the cushions have buttons, much like a leather sofa. I have thinned my Tamiya paint 50/50 because I read that you need to do several thin coats otherwise the buttons and details will just get lost in thick paint. So far I have put 5 coats on and you can still see some of the primer underneath. Is this usual or am I doing something wrong. I am not expecting perfection as I am just a beginner starting out but any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Steve

Are you brush of airbrushing?
Maybe, in the future use a different colour primer.
Give them a coat thinned less. If you loose detail dip a brush in iso/thinners etc. and wipe the excess away.
I find Tamiya does brush reasonably well with about 5-10% thinners. Just don't go back over an area straight away and leave a while between coats.
Tom

M

modelclimbs

Thanks Tom, I was just using a brush, although I sprayed the primer, will try thinning less in future and see how I get on. Thanks again.