R P Models 1/9 Anders Lassen Bust

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

100_2649.JPG

This will be my next build, a 1/9 bust of SAS Major Anders Lassen by Portuguese company R P Models. It was kindly given to me by my friend Peter Gillson of Sarnia Minaitures.

Having looked at the RP website, it looks as though this was digitally modelled, and the superb finish seems to confirm that:

100_2648.JPG

The fit is superb, with only a little clean up required.

You even get a certificate of authenticity:

100_2650.JPG

There's pride in the job for you.

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thats a nice project Peter.A Danish hero of the SAS or was it SBS.Sadly he died just before end of the war.I met the owner Hugo at Euro last year.A lovely Portuguese man and very friendly.
Looks a cracking bust with much texture.
Richard.

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Richard. Yes SBS, sorry! I've spent the last couple of hours putting it together and it is very well done. Almost every part s textured - wool, wood, metal etc. I think it will be quite demanding to paint.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I can't keep up at the rate you are going.
Peter what's digitally modeled for the stupid question of the week award !
John.

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi John- Well on their website they have computer generated pictures of the bust, suggesting that they designed it that way.

Reactions: JR
D

Deleted member 6559

The head's done, bar some inevitable tweaking:

100_2651.JPG100_2652.JPG

One of the nicest heads it's been my privilege to paint - very smooth surfaces and well defined detail. The cap badge on the box art is painted in incredible detail, and I suspect that a little digital assistance has been used there - the detail is just not there on the actual thing (not that I'd be able to paint it any better if it was there), and there appear to be other areas that have been enhanced.

D

Deleted member 6559

Just checked and RP Models do use HD 3D technology to produce their figures. I presume the same goes for the box art.

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Yes they do use 3d technology.To cap it off recasters on e.bay are ripping Hugos stuff off at half price.I myself and a few others tipped him off and it nearly broke his heart.Lot of moneys invested for shitehawks to recast.
Cracking face et beret Peter.
Richard.

D

Deleted member 6559

Cheers Steve. What a shame for RP. I try never to buy knock-offs (avoid eBay), knowing just how hard it is for you guys to even break even.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Evening Peter

Hell of a start, another super head, the blending is spot on too.

Very well done.

The textures will push the envelope, but I am sure you will rise to the challenge

3D printing is the future, I guess it will put our hobby out of business, one day

"""Grandpa, why do you use that dirty paint and illegal glue to make a ******,
you can just push this button, and the replicator puts one over there!"""

Hopefully not too soon

Catch up tomorrow

Regards

Steve H

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Peter - you are off to a great start on what is a very well sculpted bust.

John - digital modelling is where all of the 'sculpting' is done on a virtual head on a computer using a tool such as Sculptris or Zbrush and the master is3D printed. As Stephen wrote, it will be the future; different skillset that 'putty sculpting' and an ability to produce the same figure in different scales. I see Andrea have started to do this, or as some do produce a 1/16 full figure and a 1/10 bust both of the same subject.

I am sure Peter is more knowe]ledgeable on this than me, but 2D illustration saw a similar change whith digital art. I remember speaking to a sci-fi artist, Tim White, who said that it was increasingly difficult for him to compete with computer guys becasue of the speed of their turn-around, and ability to make chages: you want the sky pink rather than blue, easy to change.

Richard - the Russian recasters seem to be getting ever more prevelent on Ebay, if the bust is less than half price, is described as not having a box and from Russia the chances are it is a copy and should be avoided, even if the price is tempting.

Peter - sorry for this post going a little off-topic

Peter

Attachments

• 555EE802-FFA1-4DE3-8529-CD5DF61A6882.png
    555EE802-FFA1-4DE3-8529-CD5DF61A6882.png
    357.9 KB · Views: 3
D

Deleted member 6559

Steve - I always remember a story by E M Forster in his collection 'The Life to Come' where human beings have been reduced to lame blobs living inside shells pressing buttons all day....

Peter - Thanks for that. About three years after I left college and was struggling to get illustration work, our agent took a group of us to see one of the country's first digital art facilities. I realised then c.1987 that the writing was on the wall.

Last edited by a moderator:

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

That sounds a little like the Daleks!

Its 18C here already, Its the threatened return of the heat wave!

I think your paints may be a little vulnerable again Peter!

looks like your weekend jaunt will be a hot one!

Plenty of water and rest breaks, you don't want to spoil your current run of painting highs.

Have a good day with the textures, I shall look forward to seeing the results

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Morning Steve

Projected to be 29 degrees here for the foreseeable future. I walked down to the chemist mid afternoon yesterday (a mile there and back) and it was like walking through the blast from a furnace. I've been let off the trip to Lewes as we've decided to that my dodgy back isn't up to it. As there are only three spaces in the van I've swapped with my hulking sixteen year old son, who'll be more use (for once!).

Have a good day. Stay cool.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Steve

Projected to be 29 degrees here for the foreseeable future. I walked down to the chemist mid afternoon yesterday (a mile there and back) and it was like walking through the blast from a furnace. I've been let off the trip to Lewes as we've decided to that my dodgy back isn't up to it. As there are only three spaces in the van I've swapped with my hulking sixteen year old son, who'll be more use (for once!).

Have a good day. Stay cool.
First time a bad back came to the rescue LOL
Keep you paints wet.
Have a good day
Regards
Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Ageing has its uses Steve!

Here's where he's at:

100_2654.JPG100_2655.JPG100_2656.JPG100_2657.JPG

Still one or two things to do here, but the heat finally got to me. I decided to let the texturing on the jacket speak for itself and not do any stippling - I think the box art is a bit OTT in that respect and I wanted a more subtle finish. As it was, the grain was pronounced enough to pick up the dryer brush strokes and add texture.

As I've said before, the box art is definitely digitally enhanced and in fact the bust looks quite a lot different from what's in the box - my guess is that the artist has erased a lot of the folds and creases applying texture, and the detail is not as sharp as one is lead to believe eg the buttons, insignia etc. That said, this is still a superb piece and a real joy to paint.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
That is looking superb. The box art should really show the actual bust simply painted up the best it can be. Digitally enhanced is slightly cheating and for this quality totally unnecessary. I personally think that even the cigar smoke gives a false idea although the photo background is fine.
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Cheers Jim

Yes, I think it's a bit naughty, and the shame is that I don't think the box art does the bust all the favours it was supposed to do. They seem to have been concerned with bringing out the detail and texturing while ignoring, and even deleting in places, the sculptural qualities.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Hi Peter
That is looking superb. The box art should really show the actual bust simply painted up the best it can be. Digitally enhanced is slightly cheating and for this quality totally unnecessary. I personally think that even the cigar smoke gives a false idea although the photo background is fine.
Jim

Morning Peter,

well done Old Man!

Jim is absolutely right, your work will be better than the enhanced photo, as it is real.

Just do your best and it will be a stunner, I would be tempted to E-mail a photo to RP Models too.

Have a better day now your aren't playing Mr Shifter.

Young ones do have there uses, occasionally LOL

Regards

Steve H

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Good morning Peter,

Another most excellent piece. Your talent never fails to amaze me!
Si