Raised Panel & Rivets.

T

tecdes

Building a Tamiya Sea Harrier 1/48 .

First & hopefully last which has raised detail rather than inset into the moulding.

Tried to preserve as much as possible in areas where poor joints have needed attention. The joints & rivets have been sanded in these area to make a good finish despite maximum care.

I could replicate with recessed rivets & panel line but I think this will be a hotch spotch. Any brilliant ideas for getting over this.

Got to say in the 18 months i have been building this is the most disappointing model so far.

Laurie

D

delmonteman

It's poo, isn't it?

Sent using my fat thumbs and Tapatalk.

T

tecdes

Putting it very mildly Gav.

Really fed up with this model. So many things disappoint.

Not least dropping the body & wings into the dustbin & cracking open the body & losing the tail piece.

Still I am determined to complete as it as it is such a great aircraft.

Thanks for the commiserations Gav.

Laurie

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
The rewards will be worth the effort Laurie; Its a Harrier!

Ian M

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
There is no easy way of replacing raised detail.

Panel "lines" can be replaced by glueing on lengths of stretched sprue folowed by careful sanding. Tried it once,what a nightmare,never again.

Not sure about raised rivets,you used to be able to get decal rivets,but I don't know now. I've seen people painstakingly countersink and glue on the little balls out of water filters to make round rivet heads but that is a serious labour of love.

Cheers

Steve

K

Keith9657

Does the aircraft itself have raised panel and rivets? I can only see a couple of panels on the photos I have looked at and a few raised rivets by the tail.

Keith

T

tecdes

Thanks to you all for that.

I had read some where of undercutting the plastic to get a raised edge & then presumable back fill. Tried that but you have to be accurate in the extreme.

Think I will just put in a slight groove to extend the panel lines. The rivets I will add with the rotating rivet maker ie indents.

Cannot look any worse & probably better. Rather spend my time building another model.

Also heard of some grinding down the raised panels & rivets & adding indented stuff. No I do not think so.

Laurie

Just going to stick the broken tail back on. Amazing wife says to me in passing "how is it going" 5 mins. after dropping the thing in the dustbin. f^8*)£%. Perhaps I should have left it in the dustbin.

T

tecdes

Missed your reply Keith. All panels are raised as are the rivets. As bare plastic they are hard to see. With primer on they stand out a little better. That is why I decided that it would be a good idea to try & rectify the missing bits as they stood out after priming. Do not know what came over Tamiya. Just wonder if this is a bought in model for another manufacturer.

Laurie

Last edited:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
.Also heard of some grinding down the raised panels & rivets & adding indented stuff.
That's not as bad as it sounds,but,and it's a big but,it's best done before construction. I've done it on a couple of 1/72 models.

I've also knocked back rather than completely removed detail in larger scales.

I'm bracing myself for the wings on the Tamiya P-51 which seems to be working its way to the top of my pile!

Cheers

Steve

D

delmonteman

It's a good looking paint scheme on it though.

Sent using my fat thumbs and Tapatalk.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Keep at it Laurie. If you need inspiration read the loves and hates threads in Chitchat, I did and it motivated me to fix up my ruined Hurricane paint jobs.

T

tecdes

No I never give up Joe. On my first model I had to buy a second Typhoon as I made a mess of so many pieces.

I never start another model until I have finished the present one.

But I do like a jolly good moan. Would not feel happy otherwise.

Laurie

T

tecdes

So I scribed some indented continuity lines from the raised ones. Made it difficult as I had already primed.

Lines are OK but difficult to gauge the depth when digging thro. primer coat.

But the indented rivet lines made alongside the raised look quite good & catch the eye away form the panel lines. Unless you looked thro. a magnifier you would not guess the rivet difference.

I do guess though that who ever was inspired to produce models with raised lines has never ever built there own model.

Laurie

Rivet rivet. Chas & Dave did a thing one time.