SimonT - RAM Kangaroo Mk1

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Yes, I saw those too on Amazon and eBay when trying to find prices for the set yesterday.

You could build a diorama of a Sherman wading through a river? :smiling3:

That sounds like a good idea to save a couple of my Shermans...now to replicate extra wading exhausts.

Cheers,
Richard

Reactions: JR

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
The thought occurred to me because I did this once with an M577 which I’d bought for the lower hull and suspension, on which I built another M113 derivative entirely. Well, that is to say: I built and painted the vehicle’s upper parts, but never did get round to building the diorama base it was supposed to go on :smiling3: The M577 still sits somewhere in the cupboard in my hobby room.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
The thought occurred to me because I did this once with an M577 which I’d bought for the lower hull and suspension, on which I built another M113 derivative entirely. Well, that is to say: I built and painted the vehicle’s upper parts, but never did get round to building the diorama base it was supposed to go on :smiling3: The M577 still sits somewhere in the cupboard in my hobby room.

:smiling6::smiling6: The mind is willing but the body is weak :tears-of-joy: I have many on the shelf of shame.

Cheers,
Richard

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
For 25 years or so? :smiling3:

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
I decided to rob the suspension from a Tammy M3 Lee that has been languishing in the stash for 30+yrs

May also need some of the other bits as well such as tools

I know the suspension is not totally accurate but it does seem to have been the basis for the resin partsram-031_2018-9-17.jpgram-032_2018-9-17.jpg
they have been stippled with liquid cement and had a few bolt heads added - need a bit more work but they should look ok

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Should look OK !!!
They are near perfection in my eye !
Nice Simon.
John.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I know the suspension is not totally accurate
It would be rather a waste, IMHO, to put so much effort into adding fine details to the kit and then putting six-spoke wheels on it when the real ones had five:

sherman_roadwheel4.JPG
(source)

I’m not a rivet-counter, but this is rather more obvious than having 39 bolt heads along a panel edge when there should be 40 :smiling3:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Morning Simon
You do seem to have a lot on the go at the moment. This is certainly turning into a much bigger project than initially thought.
Jim

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
John - appears not, see Jakko post
Jakko - I knew the units were a bit wrong size wise but never counted the spokes!
Bum
Jim - small amounts on lots of builds as and when I can

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I knew the units were a bit wrong size wise but never counted the spokes!
On the positive side, plenty of Sherman kits come with two full sets of roadwheels (or even more), so you can probably get them off someone who doesn’t need the spoked ones and simply put them in place of those you have now.

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
I have dug out a set of old pre used Italeri 5 spokes which will clean up ok
The six spoke ones are all glued in nice and solid as I didn't envisage them coming out again :smiling:

Never mind, a bit of work with the saw and some rod through the Italeri wheels to make a glueable contact patch and I should be in business again :thumb2:

Thanks

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I had good results removing a Sherman wheel from a bogie with one of those lasercut razorblade saws, as they’re so thin they hardly remove any material.

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Wouldn't use anything else - I've long been a user of the excellent JLC razor saw - use it for all part removal from sprues and all other cutting tasks

Done one bogie unit as a test - worked ok so will gradually work my way through the others

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Wouldn't use anything else - I've long been a user of the excellent JLC razor saw - use it for all part removal from sprues and all other cutting tasks
I cut plastic parts from the sprue with cutters or sometimes a knife, except if they look (or turn out to be :smiling3:) very fragile, in which case I’ll use a saw.

Done one bogie unit as a test - worked ok so will gradually work my way through the others
As long as they’re not glued to the model yet it shouldn’t be too difficult a job, I’d think.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Glad to see you have sorted the wheels out. Will you bother with the welded numbers and letters on the bogies?