RC 1912 Blackburn Type D

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Nice one.

Takes me back to my school days, i had a friend who was heavily into RC aircraft and as I recall he spent more time rebuilding and repairing than he did flying.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
It's nice, but I's be too scared to fly the thing. It looks so delicate.

First Name
Steve
Very nice Theuns but i too would be scared of breaking it, you have the hang of it though.

Steve.

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Great looking model, they certainly brave souls who flew those things

T

T. van Vuuren

Ta. I am helping a mate to build a similar size electric 44" SE5a that we will finish in the same tecniques.
Theuns

T

T. van Vuuren

For me electric is good for smaller models as they give a good power for the weight, you dont need to fuel proof stuff ect, however I have found that as soon as you want to go bigger the costs become exponentially higher.

The typical small setup WRT the motor, pro, ESC and LiPO batt is still affordable up to maybe 4 cell battery.
Then when you want to go go to say a 6 cell lipo setup, the costs can easly tripple or more.

I have an electric ducted fan setup that makes 6 kg thrust but the whole setup with 2 packs of 6 cell Lipos , 120 Amp ESC costs the same as a used 6 kg turbine so for now large setups are to expensive.

Also you need to be so carfull charging and storring LiPO's as they are a massive fire risk if treadted witn no respect.
The flight time on the EDF is about 1/2 that of same thrust turbine :sad: If you want to have say 3 flight a day you will need 6 packs of 6 cell lipo and thay cost about 120 UK squidd each.
Jet A1 for my turbine is allot cheaper ;)

Theuns