Rc Mirage 3 EZ

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
That "vlam gat" is looking good!! :cool::cool:

Just how fast does this kite fly?o_O
It can't be easy to control it at speed?

T

T. van Vuuren

The delta wing is a very interesting platform.
It goes fast but can slow right down. At hight angle of atack the wortex that is usually present at the wingtip, is different in high sweep angle wings.
The vortex starts at the root and the high AoA makes the vortex from the bottom of the root leading edge actually cirl over the top of the whole leading edge of the wong creating a much better lift.
Go and google "delta vortex shedding lift", it is quite interesting.
Ever see a vid of the concorde landing where the whole front part of the wing is unde a vapour cloud?
This is what happens.

Theuns

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Will flying a RC delta be much different to flying a conventional RC aircraft - that maybe a daft question, but I've never flown any RC.

T

T. van Vuuren

No they fly allot allike, some fast deltas just like to "skid out" a little in tight banks but nothing serious.

Theuns

T

T. van Vuuren

I decised to make my own controllhorns from carbon/epoxy rather than bolting something on.

tThe holes on the bottom of the horn ar there so that the epoxy will bond it better into the slot I milled into the controll surface's hardpoint.

TheunsDSCN1503.JPG

T

T. van Vuuren

Well here is is, all glossed up and ready for owner to install the engine, RC and gear to be test flown hopefully within the next month.

The weight is a little more than I had hoped, but I recon it is the loads of filler and primer that went on to smooth out the fuselage molding aswell as the fill if the weave on the wing's glass.
I now prime inside the molds and I think I have eliminated about 80% of the filling and sanding, on the wing I will fill the weave with eopxy and micro ballons on # 2 to see if I can save on some primer.

The colours coats were not as heavy as I expected, I think about 70% weight of the paint is primer.

The weight as is now sits at 3700gr. Sounds heavy but the engine/fan weighs 1300 gr and gear/RC no more than about 800 gr with 500 gr of fuel, so I estimate a MAUW of about 6,2 kg.
The fan can make up to 6 kg of thrust so I think it will fly OK.
I balanced it and sofar as is it balances very close to the CG so maybe no dead ballast will be needed.We will play with installing the gear doors after testflights, for now keep it simple.

I will see where I can save weight on # 2 that I am busy with now. I will not do the 2 layup of carbon on the top centre sefction, 1 will be more than enough.

Plane represents # 842 of 3 Sqn SAAF 1970/80's
Still waiting for the canopy to be made.

TheunsDSCN1510.JPG DSCN1511.JPG DSCN1512.JPG DSCN1513.JPG DSCN1514.JPG

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Great update. I'm really looking forward to seeing this fly.

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
Been watching from the sidelines liking the work and looking forward to seeing it fly.
Me I am more of rc chopper person.

T

T. van Vuuren

I do also fly helos. I just get very little time to do so these days. I need to mold myself a Bell 222 soon for my RKX 50 extreme as I find it hard to get the helo's orientation far out.

Theuns

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Very tidy work Theuns. Like the others, I'd also like to see pics of it flying.

T

T. van Vuuren

A mirage without a pointy bit looks wrong so I turned one from a hardwood dowl. I glued a 6mm nylon bolt into the centre of it so that it ca screw into the radom for transport without breaDSCN1539.JPG DSCN1541.JPG king off.

Theuns

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Excellent work Theuns! The Mirage looks great.

Cheers
Paul

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Very tidy work Theuns. Like the others, I'd also like to see pics of it flying.
Pics, well OK, but really I want to see a video, with sound. I need to hear this engine. Can you manage this Theuns ?

T

T. van Vuuren

I will see when the test filghts are done, it is always a very busy time with loads to keep track of but once trimmed I will get someone to make a vid and upload to you tube.

T

T

T. van Vuuren

Since I could not get an off the shelf canopy to fit this model I had to make a plug so I can have them vac formed. Here is one I am working on, carved and sanded foam to be glassed and smoothed out.

The shape is as close as I can get it, the lines on the fuselage is not all that acurate in that area but it is a standoff scale aerie anyway
icon_wink.gif

T
Attachments