Rc Mirage 3 EZ

T

T. van Vuuren

I have been working on this rc Mirage 3 EZ for some time. I was given an old brittle glass fuselage that I msade a plug from to make molds of. It took loads of elbowgrease to get it good enough to make a mold from.
It will have foam core and balsa/composite wings, the fuselage will be aerospace epoxy glass and carbon.
The prototipe wil be powered by an old .91 size IDF engine, they were never really as good as the new electric DF or turbine engines, so of it works on the old engine the newer ones will be even better.
file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

Theuns

T

T. van Vuuren

2 sets of wings cut. On the demo model set I put 2 deg of washout into the wingtips to compare with the wings that have 0 degs.
I also had to figure out the position of the "hollow" cut out for the thrust and inlet ducts that fouls the centre section of the wing.

You can also see the interesting airfoil shape of the root section now. I still need to decide what I am going to do WRT the hindging of the 2 elevons. I was thinking of making a top ""live hindge" with peelply but that will lead to a large wedge shape slot under the rear part of the wing....not sure what aerodynamic effect the high pressure airflow at high speed might have on it...

T
Attachments

I rather cancy these colours of the RAAF, nice and visable

TheunsMirage III.jpg mirage3 4.jpg
OnlineOnline

T

T. van Vuuren

I do like te SAAF camo, but mey eyes at the model's speed might now be compatable so I have to go high viz. the first one will be in SAAF scheme for someone else.

Theuns

T

T. van Vuuren

I got the first one out the molds,m I am happy wit it. I had to design a ring former that gives the fin some stability aswell as glue in the rudder's hardpoints.

TheunsDSCN1386.JPG DSCN1387.JPG

T

T. van Vuuren

The weather turned out to be nice and hot so I joined the fuse halves . While that is curing we are off the the model flying field, I am teaching my 2 daughters to fly RC....someone has to demo these models once the old man's eyes or skills have gone LOL

Theuns

T

T. van Vuuren

DSCN1435.JPG The fusealge came out at 1030 gr, happy with that.
The wing is stupendisly strong and weighs 1200 gr.

The top hinging causes a large gap at the bottom so I molded some fairings to be glued to the elevon, this closes the gap a little better.

I also managed to get the very destinctive wingtips to shape, After a final sanding I will glass the wing.

TheunsDSCN1395.JPG DSCN1412.JPG DSCN1429.JPG DSCN1431.JPG DSCN1431.JPG DSCN1436.JPG DSCN1437.JPG

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great work theuns ! Its going to look amazing when it flies, cheers tony

T

T. van Vuuren

Thanx Tony I am sure it will.

I have managed to glass the bottom of the wing, will do the same ontop today than the priming and painting can start.

Theuns

T

T. van Vuuren

DSCN1465.JPG DSCN1470.JPG DSCN1476.JPG Most of the priming done, hoping to get some colour on by next week. I still need to find a shop that can print the SAAF decals for me.

Theuns

T

T. van Vuuren

I cut ian installed the top engine access hatch, final primer is on and hoping to get colour on over the weekend

TheunsDSCN1477.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN1478.JPG
    DSCN1478.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 2

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
This looks amazing. It will be nice to see it in the air. Will it sound like a 'normal' RC model ?

T

T. van Vuuren

Hi Colin, the Ducted fan runs at about 17 k rpm so it has more of a scweel than the normal prop engines. The sound of the air being sucked into the intakes is also quite interesting. If I did not re-enforce the intake duckts, the force of the negative pressure will collaps them in on themselves. This setup can make about 12-14 lbs pf static thrust.

I am busy making the molds for the ventral strake and hope to get colout on by tomorrow.

TheunsDSCN1481.JPG DSCN1482.JPG DSCN1483.JPG

T

T. van Vuuren

Here is the base Tan for the camo, the dark green will go on tomorrow. The bottom is already duck egg blue

TheunsDSCN1485.JPG