Realistic Bullet Hole/Shell Damage Question

malvern_man

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Hi all,

The Warhammer Leman Russ tank that I am currently building has an optional bulldozer blade which I am going to use. I have created some bullet holes/shell damage on the face of the blade ( see attached photo ) The blade isn't finished yet as it needs weathering and chipping etc.

I've filled the holes with a bit of Vallejo silver and I was just going to just drop a bit of Vallejo black wash into each hole but is there anything else I can do to make them look a bit more realistic.

Regards, Chris.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Those look pretty good. I would paint the areas around the bullet holes with a metallic colour as well, to represent the paint having chipped off there, though.

malvern_man

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Those look pretty good. I would paint the areas around the bullet holes with a metallic colour as well, to represent the paint having chipped off there, though.

Thanks for the reply, do you mean paint inside the bits that I 'dug out/scored' with my scalpel?

Regards, Chris.

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
You can also try with some graphite to blacken the hole surroundings. I had good results also using black powder from old firecrackers (and if you want to take a walk on the wild Race side, you can fill the hole with a SMALL amount of black powder and then ignite it to give a more realistic aspect, but this is a rather wild way to reproduce the marks left by a shell impact:face-with-head-bandage::rolling:)

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
do you mean paint inside the bits that I 'dug out/scored' with my scalpel?
Certainly inside the scored bits, as the paint obviously wouldn’t be covering the metal anymore there. Perhaps also a bit around them, but not everywhere, to represent more paint flaking off due to the impact.