Recommend me a razor saw

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hi guys,

I'm delving into the world of resin AM parts, in particular i've bought a bang seat for my A-10 build. I need a razor saw for chopping off the molding block, but having a quick look a John's shop there are several to choose from.

Just wondered what everybody was using, or if there is anything to bear in mind/look out for when choosing one?

Cheers,

Bob

J

Jens Andrée

I can only recommend what NOT to get and that's one of Tamiyas PE razor saw kits.
I bought the 74094 from Tamiya and it's far too thin and flimsy.
You're better off buying one of those that looks like an old-school razor blade that attaches to a proper handle.
They're not etched I think but laser cut, or stamped, in some harder material like stainless cr/mo or similar.
They seem to cut through resin parts like butter.

The one I've seen other use is the JLC razor saw.

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Cheers Dave. I did Google it earlier, my only concern is that it doesn't look like it has much depth of cut.

J

Jens Andrée

Cheers Dave. I did Google it earlier, my only concern is that it doesn't look like it has much depth of cut.
The blade is so thin that it has to be supported in the centre, otherwise you'd need a thicker blade.
If you only need a saw to cut off resin parts you can simply use a metal saw blade and just sand the edge, or a saw for joinery like a Japanese pull saw.

The razor saw is designed to cut without losing much material and with great control but the ultra thin ones Tamiya sells are more useful for scoring plastic than sawing off large pieces.
If you cut around the parts, i.e. from both ways, the razor saw is usually enough. That's what I've seen on youtube anyway.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave

I've checked and the depth of cut is about 6mm. That should be plenty for most jobs that this type of saw is designed for - and most resin parts. It's not meant for heavy duty stuff. You'd probably be better off with a fine hacksaw for very large resin blocks.

First Name
colin
Bob I have used the xacto razor saw with a heavy duty handle for years and I can't fault it .

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Thanks chaps, I will have a look into it. Maybe 6mm would be sufficent, if I did need to cut a bigger block I have a bandsaw and some fine metal cutting bands. :smiling3:

J

John Rixon

Yup, I've got one of those, and they're great! You can also get a mitre/90 degree aluminium box for these too, a really useful combination!

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
With the mitre box? I've just ordered the saw for £11.99 delivered. :smiling3:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
The Tamiya ones are a bit bendy, but cut like a hot knife through butter. They are though typical Japanese and are pull saws. As long as you remember that they are very good.
I also use the razorblade type one for rough work and they to cut very well but I find the central holder often gets in the way.

meggsy

SMF Supporter
First Name
steve
Mr bowcat may I ask where you purchased the mitre block and saw from
Regards

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Steve, it was only the saw I bought, not the mitre, but I got it from Halifax Modellers.