Removing Chrome ??? not the same Q,

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
Hi,Guys,I,m very curious,as to way most people,remove the chrome off of chrome parts, ? 9_9

is it becourse your not happy or like the finish ?

the color is not a real match ?

I can understand why with the engines,as there mostly aluminum ,with chrome cover,s,

just some think I,have been thinking about a bit before I start my builds, :S

would like to know ,how you car and bike guys look at this , 9_9

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Whilst I've never had the need to remove chrome. It could be that the 'factory' applied chrome finish looks a little 'toy' like to me.

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
Hi,Guys,I,m very curious,as to way most people,remove the chrome off of chrome parts, ? 9_9

is it becourse your not happy or like the finish ?

the color is not a real match ?

I can understand why with the engines,as there mostly aluminum ,with chrome cover,s,

just some think I,have been thinking about a bit before I start my builds, :S

would like to know ,how you car and bike guys look at this ,

Drop the part in a little bleach for 30 minutes or so .......... It strips the the chrome right off. Any little bits in crevices can be scrubbed out with a toothbrush .......... Give the part a good rinse off job done.

Cheers

Peter 

Last edited by a moderator:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
For me, the biggest problem with chrome parts are the seam lines and attachment points. These always show up as huge faults on the finish. They look even worse when you've cleaned them up as you can't do that without removing the chrome and leaving the base colour of the plastic showing through. That may be OK if you want a heavily weathered or rusty finish, but not on something that supposed to be clean and shiny.

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
Whilst I've never had the need to remove chrome. It could be that the 'factory' applied chrome finish looks a little 'toy' like to me.

I do understand,must agree some dose like that way,ta,;)

Drop the part in a little bleach for 30 minutes or so .......... It strips the the chrome right off. Any little bits in crevices can be scrubbed out with a toothbrush .......... Give the part a good rinse off job done.

Cheers

Peter
ta Peter,will, do and get some white king,and not home bleach as its,very weak,:smiling3:

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
Make sure you use latex gloves or something. Bleach irritates skin.

Cheers
Peter

A

Aurora

hi Monica,

if the factory chrome is not look good (toy looks, cracks etc) i also strip it down. as peter said bleach is the best way to strip it down. if you already have thick (dense) bleach like Domestos at home it also works well. from my experience Domestos removes revell's chrome cover in 10 mins.

Cheers
Safak

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Its a personal thing, I typically do not like the plasticy chrome finish - it's too bright!:mad:

Take for instance, my incomplete "Batmobile" or my completed motorcycles, the chrome is either too bright or after "cleaning" up the part it needs to be refinnished any how. Another point is that it easier to do a wash on a painted part than the plastic chrome finish - maybe its just the product I use?;)

In the end, there really is no wrong or right, it's about what works for you.o_O

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica

Cheers
Peter

ta for the advice,Peter,I do tend not to do that type of thing,gloves or glasses,;)

Cheers
Peter

Its a personal thing, I typically do not like the plasticy chrome finish - it's too bright!:mad:

Take for instance, my incomplete "Batmobile" or my completed motorcycles, the chrome is either too bright or after "cleaning" up the part it needs to be refinnished any how. Another point is that it easier to do a wash on a painted part than the plastic chrome finish - maybe its just the product I use?;)

In the end, there really is no wrong or right, it's about what works for you.o_O
I do real see your point as to why,as you know,I have not done that type of work with,chrome,and did real need advice on working with it,:rolleyes:
and the last thing we need as modelers,is a toy like look,:rolleyes:

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
hi Monica,

if the factory chrome is not look good (toy looks, cracks etc) i also strip it down. as peter said bleach is the best way to strip it down. if you already have thick (dense) bleach like Domestos at home it also works well. from my experience Domestos removes revell's chrome cover in 10 mins.

Cheers
Safak
thats the one I,will pickup at the supermarket,next time,do real appreciate the advice for all,:D

R

Rik101

I have found that for factory chromed parts, a light dusting of Tamiya PS-31 window tint spray will dull them to a much more realistic look. It doesn't take very much so the small can goes a long way.

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
I have found that for factory chromed parts, a light dusting of Tamiya PS-31 window tint spray will dull them to a much more realistic look. It doesn't take very much so the small can goes a long way.
ta Rick,that is an option as well,if you don't wont to,strip them back and redo,some think to keep in mind,;)

R

Rik101

No problem Monica, once you have a dusting on there, washes tend to flow and stick better too.

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
No problem Monica, once you have a dusting on there, washes tend to flow and stick better too.
ta for the help,Rik,alladie is good when doing some think new,:rolleyes::smiling3:

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
--------------------- :D

S

Stevekir

But what about replacing the chrome with one that is better? I have tried Bare Metal Foil but even with care it has a slightly stippled (that is, bumpy) surface which real chrome never has. Its ok for small parts, about say 3 mm wide and 5 long.

I have tried Alclad chrome spray but couldn't get it to produce a shine. I possibly need more practice. Does anyone get it to work like the ever-so-easy promotion videos? What are any good alternatives?

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
good points you have there Steve,will be very interested to see what,people say who work with chrome parts alot,;)

D

Deleted member 3568

I've not found anything to work as well as the factory chrome.

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
I've not found anything to work as well as the factory chrome.
I was waiting to see how,long it would take,for someone to leave it be,Ken,and like to see someone who,dose,;)