Removing transfers

First Name
Alex
I'm sure this has been asked before.

Does anyone have a good way to remove transfers which have dried on to the kit? It's not covered yet with a clear coat but I have used decal fix to fix it on. It's not a huge deal but i've put a couple in the wrong place after studying the instructions again. Would like to re-apply them to the correct place so the method should leave the transfer intact.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Did you use Microset or Decalfix or something? Or just plain water?

Pete

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I have no idea if this would work (or damage the model) but have you tried steam, or very warm water? A little bit of heat often gets most things free.

First Name
Alex
I have no idea if this would work (or damage the model) but have you tried steam, or very warm water? A little bit of heat often gets most things free.

hmm, steam might be an option, but how to concentrate it on a small area? the transfers are over a clear gloss coat so i don't think it would ruin the paint

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I would imagine holding it above the spout of a just boiled kettle (far enough up that it wont warp the styrene) should do the trick.

(edited to add, Bowcat accepts no responibility or liability if your model melts :smiling5:).

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I think I'd try warm water first. If there are other decals on the same part that you don't want to remove, you could give them a clear coat?

Pete

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I have had some success by reapplying decal fix and or decal solv to a misplaced decal. Once it lifts I give it a good spot of water and lift it off with a wet flat brush. It will need to be reused right away.