Republic of Korea Air Force (ROKAF) T-50 Advanced Trainer

F

Fenlander

I know nothing of this very stylish aircraft so I quote from Lockheed Martin....

"The T-50 program is a joint development between Lockheed Martin and Korea Aerospace Industries to meet the advanced jet pilot training needs of the Republic of Korea Air Force (ROKAF). More than 100 aircraft have been built and delivered to the ROKAF. A second variant is currently in production called the FA-50 light combat aircraft.

From the beginning, the T-50 was envisioned to be exported to other countries. In 2011, this vision became a reality when Indonesia ordered sixteen aircraft, called the T-50i. All the Indonesian aircraft have been delivered."

The kit: Academy 1/48 Republic of Korea Air Force (ROKAF) Advanced Trainer.

Trainer-%201%20of%2021.jpg

The box art looks nice but upon opening the box you see what it could look like when finished if I knew what I was doing.

Trainer-%202%20of%2021.jpg

Now the sprues, there is some really fine detail on these parts but white plastic does not photograph that well so apologies if you cannot see it that well.

Trainer-%204%20of%2021.jpg

Trainer-%205%20of%2021.jpg

Trainer-%206%20of%2021.jpg

Trainer-%207%20of%2021.jpg

Trainer-%208%20of%2021.jpg

Trainer-%209%20of%2021.jpg

Trainer-%2010%20of%2021.jpg

Then the incredibly clear, clear parts

Notice the huge moulded blocks protecting the canopy.

Trainer-%2012%20of%2021.jpg

Trainer-%2014%20of%2021.jpg

The instrument panels

Trainer-%2013%20of%2021.jpg

And the crew, two identical but quite nice figures. Note the mask oxygen pipes moulded as separate parts as are the arms.

Trainer-%2011%20of%2021.jpg

The decals

Trainer-%2015%20of%2021.jpg

Lastly, the instructions

Trainer-%2016%20of%2021.jpg

Trainer-%2017%20of%2021.jpg

Trainer-%2018%20of%2021.jpg

Trainer-%2019%20of%2021.jpg

Trainer-%2020%20of%2021.jpg

Trainer-%2021%20of%2021.jpg

So there we are. I must admit I am a tad worried how this may turn out. It looks a better kit than I am an aircraft builder:sad:

Also the white finish doesn't help. The decals for the orangey red wing tips etc. and the anti glare nose panel are not an option, these will have to be painted....... he says..... bravely:eek:

Some bits of the instructions are a tad ambiguous. It shows an either/or for the main and undercarriage legs which took me a while to see that one option is compressed as in fully loaded on the ground. the other option has them long and dangly as in just before touchdown.

However, I have found no mention of nose weighting to prevent a tail sitter. My initial thought was to put it on a clear rod sticking out the engine as in flight but the amazing detail that will be on display with the huge canopy open and it's oh so sexy legs have swayed me to a ground based model.

So, thanks to Tony (Yak Face) for blatantly bullying me into doing this ;) I will be clearing the decks to get started on this very, very soon.

D

Deleted member 4539

This should be fun to watch,Graham.

I've always loved doing Academy kits.

P

Polux

Wow! looks an excellent kit :eek:

Is a magnificent purchase Graham. You will be busy some days now :D

Thank you very much to join in ;)

A

andyrobs

Looks like a nice kit graham, I'll look forward to seeing it built.

Cheers Andrew

F

Fenlander

\ said:
Wow! looks an excellent kit :eek:
Is a magnificent purchase Graham. You will be busy some days now :D

Thank you very much to join in ;)
Actually, I seem to think you aided Tony into bullying me into this Polux...... I have been had :eek: ;) :D

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Looks a very nice detailed kit Graham and from the sprue shots and descriptions you have added it looks a very detailed build on the way. Really looking forward to getting my kit so I can start on my daunting task ahead ( I built 1/72, and 1/48 WW2 aircraft ( never jets so I think we will be in the same boat here ( I'll give Polux and Yak face a hard time too if it's gonna be hard) hahahahahhaahahah

I've tagged on to watch this ( I will be looking for tips)

Kind regards

Robert

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
ive always liked academy kits too

this looks a very interesting kit......great whiff fodder

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
\ said:
The decals for the orangey red wing tips etc. and the anti glare nose panel are not an option, these will have to be painted....... he says..... bravely:eek:
Better than the option of applying large Academy decals, trust me. Looks a nice kit, will watch your progress Graham.

N

noble

That looks like a nice kit, is it me or is this based on the General dynamics F16?

scott

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well with what you've said about aircraft building Graham I'm going to watch this in a slightly sadistic /twisted way ;) .

Looking forward to this one really Graham.

F

Fenlander

\ said:
That looks like a nice kit, is it me or is this based on the General dynamics F16?
scott
It has been said that this is the secret love child of a liaison between a F-16 and an F/A-18 :D

\ said:
Well with what you've said about aircraft building Graham I'm going to watch this in a slightly sadistic /twisted way ;) .
Looking forward to this one really Graham.
Mmmmmm, cheers Ian. Just looking at the instructions made me look like your avatar :D

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
It has been said that this is the secret love child of a liaison between a F-16 and an F/A-18 :D
Mmmmmm, cheers Ian. Just looking at the instructions made me look like your avatar :D
I feel like that all the time Graham

F

Fenlander

Off to a steady start, didn't have much time tonight. But I have already drawn some conclusions. One is that there are far too many tiny parts :sad: the other is that I hate modelling with white plastic :mad:

A way, two seats done, seven parts in each. Not a lot but the 'build is on' as Sherlock Holmes didn't say.....

image.jpe

J

John Rixon

Interesting project, especially after a ww2 afv, but it looks like a great kit, and academy kits seem to go together very nicely. Those decals make me nervous though.... Not to be tackled with a hangover ;)

F

Fenlander

\ said:
Interesting project, especially after a ww2 afv, but it looks like a great kit, and academy kits seem to go together very nicely. Those decals make me nervous though.... Not to be tackled with a hangover ;)
I agree about the decals, the orange red is much brighter than it looks in the photo.....

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Looking nice there graham, I'm sure once painted up they will look stunning and show all the detail up

Great start

Robert

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
Looks like a interesting subject graham, I'm sure you'll do it justice. I'm tagging along for this one!

Phil

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Two nice white blobs you have there Graham, I'm sure the detail will pop with a bit of primer on them.

F

Fenlander

\ said:
Two nice white blobs you have there Graham, I'm sure the detail will pop with a bit of primer on them.
They may be white blobs to you Ian but, to me, they are MY white blobs :D White plastic is horrible to work with:mad: