Request for help

M

mark stonham

Decal Decal Decal i need help with Decals. Im placing them in warm water when i try to stick them on the model they split and the one's that i do get on they come off a day or two later is there some thing you guys use or am i to heavy handed :cry:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hmmmm. If they are old decals they can crack up. nowt to do with you. Some of the better decals are so thin that you can risk them breaking up if you are not careful. As to the falling off bit, you got me there, it could be an age thing.

The water is not to warm I trust, I normally just use room temperature water, as I have a bottle by the bench.

What make kit/decals are they and how old?

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well I am stumped. I've never had any real problems with The Big T's decals.

Whats the kit, it might be that some one has some spare decals that can be used. The guys on here have saved me a couple of times!

After a bit of thought the only thing that I can really suspect is the water temp. If you can feel its warm by sticking a finger in it, its to warm!

A decal is basicly ink or paint held together with decal film/glue. If it gets to much heat it could just make it break up.

Ian M

B

Bunkerbarge

The first thing that came to my mind was the water is too warm as well. I always use room temp water, place the decals in for only a few seconds then remove them and leave for a minute or two for them to free from the backing.

If you have a kit that you can buy after market decals for then you are OK but if not it's either hand painted or a derelict diorama!

S

sharowjohn

Hi,

You say you do not know the age of the kit and quite possibally not it's history, I do not say this is the definitive reason for your problem but ! if the decals have been exposed to sunlight ,strip lights, bassically left out of box so to speak for any lengh of time then that will be the source of the problem. Perhaps a chat with John at the shop about microsol etc could be of help.

Cheers sharowjohn.

First Name
Dave
When you slide the decals off the backing paper onto the model what do you use?.If you use a dry finger on old decals they will easily break up.I build quit a few old kits with ancient decals.What i do is place them in room temperature water for around 5 seconds.Then i wait a bit and try to move them on the backing paper with a paint brush.if they move ok i then slide them into place on the model with the brush onto Microsol/Microset.If they dont move i leave them a bit longer or even soak them again.I've never had aproblem with them coming off he next day.Perhaps you are soaking them too long or moving them around to much on the model and loosing all of the adhesive?.A day after decalling i apply a final clear coat/coats to the model which seals them on.My method works even on 20 year old glossy Monogram decals (mostly!) which are not brilliant even when new.

T

tecdes

This may help. Got this from Micro .

The last one is interesting for old decals.

"Micro Sol setting solution is for the most difficult irregular surfaces you find on models. It completely softens the Microscale Decal allowing it to drape down onto the surface of the model conforming perfectly and without distortion. You can get the most amazing results in seemingly impossible places, because Micro Sol actually makes the decal part of the paint. For that reason you should coat Micro Sol on for only a few seconds and then leave it alone, it does the work. Do not touch until dry as the decal is very soft at this stage and could be easily damaged. "

"Micro Set is a very versatile decal setting solution that does several things to the Microscale Decals to improve application. Micro Set should be applied to the surface of the model where you will be sliding off the decal. Micro Set prepares the surface with special wetting agents that cuts the oils in new paint and converts the adhesive on the back of the decal to a stronger and more lasting one. And finally, Micro Set slightly softens the decals film to make it more flexible so that it can conform better to the model's surface. Better adhesion by the decal to the model prevents tiny air bells from occurring and results in an invisible carrier film or the so called 'painted on look'. "

"Everyone should have Micro Liquid Decal Film who models and uses decals. Especially if you have been at it for some time. The typical decal scrap box is not the best place to store decals. Exposed to air, sunlight, and moisture, great swings of temperature or general abuse, and decals will go bad. Or maybe you just always had trouble putting on thin stripes. Micro Liquid Decal Film solves all of those problems and makes a decal which for whatever reason is bad, work again just like new almost immediately. Of course if you have already put it in water it is too late. So if you have some old decals you really have to use, coat them with Micro Liquid Decal Film to be sure. Or if there is any indication that you might have a problem, don't take a chance, you can solve the problem on the spot. Simply take a small brush and coat the image on the decal you want to use. Allow to dry for 20 minutes. Apply the decal as usual. It's that simple.