Resin casting

A

Awins

I would like to have a go at casting model items crates boxes etc. I've looked at a few YouTube videos and it seems fairly straight forward.
However, can anyone advise a silicone mold and resin product please.
Cheers Alan

R

roymattblack

Try here:

http://www.dwrplastics.com/home

You want the RTV Silicon moulding rubber - general type.
They sell it in several sizes but for most hobby use, the 1kg kit is enough to last ages.

For the resin, Polyurethane fast-cast low odour.
Again, various sizes but I buy 1kg at a time.

I mould loads of parts for my scratch build 1/8 cars and this stuff is the best I've found.

Once the silicon/catalyst are mixed you have around 10 minutes 'pouring' time so get your master and mould ready first.
A sheet of shiny plastic, double sided tape, and build your mould 'walls' with Lego bricks.
You can then use them again.
D/S tape your master and Lego to the base.
Mix the silicon, pour, stand it on a warm radiator and it's ready in a few hours.

Mix the resin and catalyst roughly 50/50.
Pour into the mould a SMALL amount and roll it around into the nooks and crannies, even poking little corners with a cocktail stick.
Maybe one day, get a vacuum chamber to suck out the air, but not needed for 'hobby' quantities.

Then, top up the mould with the rest of the resin.

It will be hard in 10-20 minutes.

Great fun...

Roy.

A

Awins

Try here:

http://www.dwrplastics.com/home

You want the RTV Silicon moulding rubber - general type.
They sell it in several sizes but for most hobby use, the 1kg kit is enough to last ages.

For the resin, Polyurethane fast-cast low odour.
Again, various sizes but I buy 1kg at a time.

I mould loads of parts for my scratch build 1/8 cars and this stuff is the best I've found.

Once the silicon/catalyst are mixed you have around 10 minutes 'pouring' time so get your master and mould ready first.
A sheet of shiny plastic, double sided tape, and build your mould 'walls' with Lego bricks.
You can then use them again.
D/S tape your master and Lego to the base.
Mix the silicon, pour, stand it on a warm radiator and it's ready in a few hours.

Mix the resin and catalyst roughly 50/50.
Pour into the mould a SMALL amount and roll it around into the nooks and crannies, even poking little corners with a cocktail stick.
Maybe one day, get a vacuum chamber to suck out the air, but not needed for 'hobby' quantities.

Then, top up the mould with the rest of the resin.

It will be hard in 10-20 minutes.

Great fun...

Roy.
Perfect explenation, thank you so much Roy

T

Thunderbird

Thanks for the tips Roy, I am also thinking about trying this out. Looks a bit difficult to make a 2 piece mold but I guess one should start with something really simple. :smiling3: