Resin cutting

D

demon

I have just purchased a wingnut wings eindecker and a resin Taurus models Oberursel u.111 engine my problem is not having worked with resin before how do i remove the rockers from the moulding block they seem very lose and are extremely frail

J

John Rixon

Tiny razor saw blades that fit a Swann Morton handle are very good, as is a small razor saw, the finest you can find. It's a fiddly job, but it cuts easily enough. Be aware that the dust is not good for your lungs, at all! I'd practice on some of the off cuts, to get a feel of the material you are new to.

F

Fenlander

Yep, razor saw is your best option and hold the parts as firmly as you can to stop flexing. As John said, resin dust is harmful.

What I tend to do is put a few layers of damp kitchen paper towel on the bench and cut on that. Any fine particles of dust dropping onto the towel will stick to it rather than creating a dry dust area to clean up. If they parts are very thin and held with an almost transparent thin sheet, you can cut this, very carefully, with a craft knife or scalpel. Again, try to ensure the part is held firm enough to prevent flexing.

Once done you will need to sand the part to get rid of cut marks. Try to do this with wet sanding sticks or wet & dry sanding sheets thoroughly wetted to minimise dust being created. Wash the finished part in just warm soapy water as most resin parts have a mould realease agent on them that can prevent paint or primer sticking. Use superglue to attach parts or two part resin if they are heavy.

Wearing a fine, well fitting, dust mask while cutting or sanding resin is always recommended.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
I'm glad this question was asked because I have some resin items I will be using in the coming year. Great info, thanks chaps