revel water based paint troubles

M

modeling alex

Hi all

I have started to get back into modeling after a 1 or 2 year gap but i needed to get new stuff like paints so i brought these revel water based paints (can wash them of with water and in a square container)

The problem that i am finding with them is that they keep running off the ends of the propellers but i have mixed them and shaked them

How can i stop this from happening?

p.s i was originaly using humbrol paints and they seemed much thicker

D

dubster72

Hi Alex, I've found this is often the case with many types of 'acrylic' (Tamiya, Vallejo etc) paint-they don't 'key' to plastic surfaces as well as we would hope. Two things you can try, clean the plastic prior to painting with warm soapy water, not just to remove skin oils but also there's often contaminates that get there from the factory. Don't rub dry or you'll add a static charge & attract dust-use a hairdryer on low. The other thing is to prime the parts-I use Tamiya's grey primer although the car stuff from Halfords has been used to good effect by other guys. Hope this gives you some help! Cheers Patrick

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I'd go along with all the above except I'd use a white primer if you can. Difficult colours like yellow,red and even some blues go on much better over white.

I take it you are applying the colour to a black propeller. It is very difficult to get yellow over black. I spray but the same principles apply to brush painting. Try this sequence.

1 Prime the propeller (ideally white, but grey will work)

2 Paint the ends yellow, dont worry about just the tip.

3 Once dry mask the yellow tips and paint the rest of the propeller black. Black will easily cover yellow.

4 Remove masking to reveal perfect propeller tips.

I should have dusted that before I took the photo!!!

Cheers

Steve

View attachment 19956

IMG_1832.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: