Revell 1/32 Arado 196A-3

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi all

Here's my next build. Another bargain from Revell at only £24.99. I have made a tentative start. The floats are together although the tops are not glued yet as I haven't decided if they will require the 30g of weights per float as suggested if you have the wings folded. The Engine is well detailed even down to the ignition wires despite having less parts than the Bearcat I have just built. There is a bit of flash on some parts but nothing major.

Vaughan

View attachment 39007

View attachment 39008

View attachment 39009

View attachment 39010

View attachment 39011

_MG_0119.jpg

_MG_0127.jpg

_MG_0129.jpg

IMG_0124.jpg

_MG_0114.jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Ive seen this built vaughan and its mighty impressive!,as for the floats ,if i were you i'd put the weight in just in case. Nice engine btw ! Cheers tony

saguy

A true Leeds Utd fan ............
SMF Supporter
First Name
lindsey
very nice looking aircraft there vaughan .... looking forward to the progress pics ...what does it measure up to in terms of wingspan and length? Rgds

Lindsey

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi Lindsey

The wingspan unfolded is 39.3cm and the fuselage is 34.6cm.

Vaughan.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Put the weights in. You will need them. Some one I know forgot and ended up having to drill the floats and fill them after it was finished.

Better safe than sorry.

This is a Kit that I could be tempted by. I look forwards to seeing the build.

Ian M

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
A float plane. Nice choice Vaughan, I never enjoy painting wheels.

Colin M.......

First Name
Andy
There's something special about water aircraft, I really don't know why it hasn't really developed a lot more, especially here in the UK seeing as we are surrounded by the stuff... :thinking:

Looking forward to seeing this one develop...:plane:

Andy...

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Nice subject and good start. I'm very tempted to have a swing at one of these so I'll be following with interest!

Andy,seaplanes,at least in the form of flying boats were the Queens of the skies,particularly in the interwar period. As you say Britain is surrounded by water and was also at the centre of a maritime empire. Plenty of water and no runways required!

Cheers

Steve

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi All

A little bit progress over the W/E. I popped down to my local tackle shop and bought some lead weights for the floats. I opted to go for a 20g and 10g sinker weight (I think that's what they call it not being a fisherman) as buying split shot was going to work out twice the price. I have pre-drilled the floats to take the bracing cables. I might follow Ted Taylors build and complete the rigging using one piece of mono filament. By attaching the float tops to the struts and lower fuselage, you then thread it through attaching the pre weighted lower halves last. I've opted for 8lb breaking strain mono filament which is 0.25mm multiplied up this would make a cable 8mm thick I'm not sure if this is too thick. Anybody's thoughts on this?. I've also dry fitted the engine and all looks well. While surfing the net for reference photos I found this rare colour youtube clip of Arados taking off.

Vaughan

View attachment 39212

View attachment 39213

View attachment 39214

_MG_0134.jpg

_MG_0139.jpg

IMG_0146.jpg

R

Richy C

I`ve been looking at this kit myself Vaughan , don`t know how I missed it but Ian has pointed me to your build , looking good so far , I`m in on this build mate.

Cheers

Richy

T

treyzx10r

Vaughan great stuff so far ,wish this kit was 1/48 I'de be on it like a flea on a dog!

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi Trey

Italeri do a 1/48 version retails at £26 this side of the pond.

Vaughan

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Some more progress today. Dry fit of lower fuselage to the float struts and floats using the display stand as a guide. There are quite deep sink marks on the struts that will need to be filled. The mono filament line looks to be in scale and once the fuselage, struts and float tops are glued I will try and work out the best way to thread the line. Once the rigging is done I will then glue the float tops to their respective halves.

Vaughan

View attachment 39240

View attachment 39241

View attachment 39242

IMG_0149.jpg

IMG_0150.jpg

IMG_0152.jpg

First Name
Dave
An interesting kit Vaughan.I've got my eye on the Italeri 1/48 as it will fit in with my collection.Amazing that the Revell 1/32 is cheaper!.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Progress is going to be very slow as my garden room is not heated and temperatures are getting very low. We had a frost here this morning and it's only 8c in the room so maybe an oil filled radiator is an option. I managed to spray the engine and it's components and prime the internal framework yesterday afternoon when it was warmer so I'm going to have to choose my moments. I'm in two minds as to wether I glue the lower half of the fuselage to the float struts and then attach the main fuselage as there could be alignment issues with the internal framework lining up with the wing location slots if I don't follow the instructions to the book. It all looks complicated in there so the rigging might have to be done in a different way.

Vaughan

View attachment 39321

View attachment 39322

View attachment 39323

_MG_0005.jpg

_MG_0008.jpg

_MG_0010.jpg

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Good stuff Vaughan. It looks like quite a tricky build. The fit looks pretty good,are the parts nice and clean? I've had a few 'iffy' moldings in large scale Revell kits in the past.

Cheers

Steve

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi All

In answer to your questions Steve the parts seam ok. There is some flashing on some of the smaller more intricate parts. As far as the fit is concerned I think it will be ok but it looks to be quite complicated getting the internals and fuselage to all line up. Reviewers have said that it is an easy build but I'm not convinced on that count.

Yesterday afternoon I sprayed the fuselage, internal frame, bulkheads, firewalls and engine cowling rings with RLM02. Thin strips of tamiya tape were applied to the inside of the fuselage halves and then a light dusting of black over the tape. Once the tape was removed it gives the effect of the internal ribbing. I was having a look at the propeller and it's nose cone and backplate as the kit comes with a choice of two types of blades. The instruction make no mention of having to modify the props in any way. So I opted for the paddle shaped ones but they don't fit onto the backplate and the nose cone won't fit on top as the rings at the base of each blade foul with the cutouts. I removed the two circular rings by sanding them and then there was no problem with the fit.

Vaughan

View attachment 39445

View attachment 39446

View attachment 39447

View attachment 39448

View attachment 39449

View attachment 39450

View attachment 39451

View attachment 39452

_MG_0045.jpg

IMG_0031.jpg

IMG_0033.jpg

IMG_0035.jpg

_MG_0037.jpg

_MG_0038.jpg

_MG_0040.jpg

_MG_0041.jpg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Thanks Vaughan and nice work on the fuselage.

I think you guessed right on the propeller blades. The A-3 came after the A-4 and I'm reasonably confident that the wider blades were fitted to the A-4. All the models I see online go for the thinner ones!

Cheers

Steve