Revell 1:32 He 111 P-1

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
A small update. After lots of time and even more tape the masking was done and I was ready for the first top coat. So here it is. No post shading yet, but I have left it just a little patchy.

Ak interactive paint and a drop of medium retarder (Vallejo) meant no problems during this long spraying session. I must remember to use the retarder more often, it does help avoid the normal acrylic paint problems found during long spraying sessions.

IMG_0625.JPG

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Looking very good Colin. And the retarder use is a good tip!

Cheers

P

0ne48thtel

This is coming along very nicely Colin I like the idea of the use of lights as well.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Dude that's rather large! Also looking good I should add. 

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Dude that's rather large

Or as I like to say - Flippin' huge.  If I ever indicate I might build another 1:32 scale medium bomber, please slap me, anyone. I painted the 'black green' last night and nearly used a whole bottle up. And some of the one handed positions I have to hold it in whilst spraying, well, I'll have arms like Popeye before I'm done.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
So, all painting is done:
IMG_0631.JPG

Then it was time for post shading.
IMG_0633.JPG
IMG_0634.JPG
IMG_0635.JPG
The post shading might be a bit too much at the moment, but a filter coat will tone it all together, I think. It's been 'fun' spinning this thing around trying to paint it all. On the subject of a filter, I was thinking a really light coat of grey, what do people think ?Is there some sort of complimentary colour that would be better ?

Colin m..

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Or as I like to say - Flippin' huge. If I ever indicate I might build another 1:32 scale medium bomber, please slap me, anyone. I painted the 'black green' last night and nearly used a whole bottle up. And some of the one handed positions I have to hold it in whilst spraying, well, I'll have arms like Popeye before I'm done.

Come on Colin.... You know you want that 1/32 HKM B17 and their 1/32 Lancaster - you cannot resist....

You are doing a great job by the way - excellent shading producing a nice variated look. Essential on a large model....

I would not bother with a filter coat so much as a 'sludge wash' as that will tone down the overall colour while bringing out the panel lines. The Flory Dark Dirt is what I would use. I think that would be better on such a large model than a panel line pin wash.

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Looking good, variation in the paintwork works for me.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Come on Colin.... You know you want that 1/32 HKM B17 and their 1/32 Lancaster - you cannot resist....

You are doing a great job by the way - excellent shading producing a nice variated look. Essential on a large model....

I would not bother with a filter coat so much as a 'sludge wash' as that will tone down the overall colour while bringing out the panel lines. The Flory Dark Dirt is what I would use. I think that would be better on such a large model than a panel line pin wash.
Barry please, there's me grumbling about a medium bomber and you suggest a couple of heavies !! Mind you, a Lancaster...................................................

I normally use Flory dark dirt but would you believe, he had run out of the stuff at Telford and I'm not sure I have enough left for this monster.
Now then, how would you apply a gloss coat to the monster ? I did it this way, which actually turns out a nice way to avoid dust.
IMG_0637.JPG

Ok, the blue rope and steel pole might a bit 'belt and braces' but it worked. I'll give it a day to properly cure so hopefully will start the decals tomorrow.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Decals are on, they all behaved very well. Some of the larger ones (for the fuselage) had a lot of carrier film so I cut these decals up and removed as much carrier film as I could.
IMG_0640.JPG

After completing the decals, I sprayed another gloss coat to seal the decals - then it happened, disaster. The final gloss coat reacted with the microsol creating a great big white blooms over and around any decal that had, had microsol applied to it. No pictures I'm afraid, I was too busy trying to save my model. A hard scrub with Vallejo brush cleaner and cotton buds did the trick, but also damaged some of the big letters on the fuselage. Not to worry, I'll fill in the gaps later. It just means this aircraft will be a bit more tatty than I was planning it to be.

Some other little jobs have been done. The propellers just need a flat coat now.

IMG_0647.JPG

And the last bit of harness has been made for the mid upper gunner.
IMG_0645.JPG

And finally for this update. The main landing gear is in place. I always like to do this job last thing at night. Everyone I
is in bed, and I can leave the model to set without anyone going near it. It's hard to imagine that these spindly bits of plastic will hold this thing up. However, I can't find any reports of these units failing. They must be stronger than they look.
IMG_0643.JPG
Flat coat tomorrow, I might just get this finished this weekend.

Colin M..

J

John Rixon

So, all painting is done:
View attachment 266897

Then it was time for post shading.
View attachment 266898
View attachment 266899
View attachment 266900
The post shading might be a bit too much at the moment, but a filter coat will tone it all together, I think. It's been 'fun' spinning this thing around trying to paint it all. On the subject of a filter, I was thinking a really light coat of grey, what do people think ?Is there some sort of complimentary colour that would be better ?

Colin m..
Wow, this is looking fantastic, great painting skills! I think I agree with Barry about the wash, and the beauty of those Flory washes is that you can remove them completely, very easily, if you don't like the effect. Bummer about the gloss coat and decals, but a bit of tatty often adds realism, can't wait to see this finished. A fascinating aircraft, beautifully built and painted.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Looking magnificent Colin. This is going to be one good looking Heinkel.
Beautiful paint job, great detail - lovely work.

Cheers
P

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Colin - it is quite common for decal liquid to react that way with gloss coats though normally it is with the base coat, I then just apply a gloss sealing coat and all is then fine. Perhaps the decal liquid was not fully dry - I leave it 24 hours. In your position I would have waited a day then try another gloss coat to see if that worked.

Great work by the way..... I am tempted by this myself even though I am not a big fan of Revell.

Last edited:

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Good word, how many times have I nearly knocked something over moving this monster around !
A fascinating aircraft
I think it looks amazing, smooth, sleek and those giant upswept wings.
I then just apply a gloss sealing coat and all is then fine
I know what you are describing there Barry, I've had that happen so many times, and yes, just carry on and it's fine. This was different (I wished I had photographed it) rather than looking like a water mark, it was sort of spotted / pitted. My description is useless without a pic. On close examination, my Microsol was a different colour than a new spare bottle, so it's in the bin, hopefully along with my troubles.
This is going to be one good looking Heinkel
Until I take all those paint masks off and discover a ton of dust all over the inside of the 'greenhouse'.

This morning before leaving for work, I turned the monster over and sat it on its wheels. So, its got all day to collapse under its own weight. Which I don't think will happen. Revell have been clever here. When sat on its wheels, the landing gear actually pushes up, against some moulded locating points, these really do all the work. Well, I'll see tonight.