Revell 1/32 Spitfire Mk2

T

T. van Vuuren

Here is an interesting kit.
Revell's Spit Mk2a. Sofar I have just started and ran into a little snag.
The IP has very nice raised and reccessed detail, and deacls fo the instruments.
However you can see that the yello marked instruments do not lin up with any detail on the molding
icon_confused.gif

I will have to make another plan here, eithr try scribe the instrument faces, but the deep reccess of the centre console makes this difficult or cut out the faces off the decal sheet and try put them into the moulding.

The Seat is made up from 4 pieces and no matter how I tried they just didnt fit well, the sidewalls do not line up with the seatpan and backrest, lucky I can jippo this a little, also only the right sidewall of te seat has a hole where the lapsrtap goes through, the left side not.

I also need to reserch if the Mk2a had the Sutton Harnass that had the 2 sets of shoulder restraints, if so I need to make a hole in the backrest for one of them.

I am sure it is not a bad kit, I just think became spoilt with the Tam 1/32 P-51 where every thing fit so well
icon_smile.gif

Theuns

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
I have done this kit I had no problems with mine but I did invest in the edaurd cockpit set and it does enhance quite nicely and you are welcome to check out my build thread.

T

T. van Vuuren

I have only 5 weeks to complete this build so I will not be able to import anything.

Maybe the rest of the kit will be easier I hope. I must admit there is not even a 1/4 of the work needed on this compared to the Tam P-51 :smiling:

Theuns

T

T. van Vuuren

Here is my attempt at making the Spit's unique "Sutton seat Harnass"
I used masking tape strips, 2 buckles left over from my mustprang and stained it with watercolours to give some feel to it.
The black dots on the harnass is to simulate the 1/2" diameter holes in the straps where the kingpin with splitpin lock would join the 4 straps.
The sutton harnass was interesting in the sence that it had 2 sets of shoulder straps , one attatched to the rear bulkheads with a cable, I used fish trace cable for this and te other was bolted to the seat backrest.
The first stoped the pilot going to far forward in a prang yet allowed him some movement to lean forward and the second kept his butt firmly in the seat.

The only hassle with photos this up close , it shows the slightest imperfection tha you can not see with eyes allone
icon_wink.gif

Theuns

T

T. van Vuuren

Thanx Ian. I must say the colour in the pic looks a little "off:, my cell's camera is not the best.

I hope to get the cockpit completed today.
What would be the correct shade of dark earth and dark green for this model? Same with the "Sky"? in either tamiya or humbrol?
I have HU 90 aswell as modelmaster "duckegg blue:
Also have humbrol 29 and model master "dark earth"
The green from humbrol (30) looks wrong to me - it is to "blue"

Theuns

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I've used H30 a few times and was never really happy with it. I recently used the AK interactive RAF set and really liked the green in that set.

T

T. van Vuuren

Thanx. My lhs pretty mych has only Tamiya, a few Xrta colour and humbrol, so that is what I need to use :sad:

Theuns

T

T. van Vuuren

I completed the sanding of the bottom of the wing fit, rescribed and riveted it, only paint will show if I was successfull....

The canopy fit for the rear section was awfull, it does not line up atall ad is to narrow, the sliding part should hide it when slid back.

The windshield is a little better but fit is not 100%. Glueing on the armoured glass infront of the windshield is tricky as te tamiya thin cement can wick inbetween the two layers , this time I got away with it though.

TheunsDSC00705.JPG

T

T. van Vuuren

My hand was a tad unsteaddy with the preshading, must be getting old
eusa_doh.gif

Sky tipe S on the inderside, just enough shading showing through to give some feel.

Theuns

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
All looking good. Sky, has to be one of my favourite colours, along with cockpit green.

T

T. van Vuuren

Hi Steve, I have not done any of the top colours yet, was planing to so so today but spent all day working :sad:

Thanx for the tip.

Theuns

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice work Theuns, and I think an un-steady hand for pre-shading works better, you don't want it too neat.

T

T. van Vuuren

Here is my "faded dark earth" with just enough shading and "blotchyness" to look well used.
DSC00717_zpsigu1pcu9.jpg

DSC00716_zpsprdhh3or.jpg

I took Steve's advice and got Hu 168 for the green, it looks really nice.
Just waiting for better light to take pix.

Theuns

T

T. van Vuuren

Main "very faded weatherd" colours on . My own mix of faded DE and the DG is HU 163 as per Steve's info.

TheunsDSC00723.JPG DSC00724.JPG DSC00725.JPG

T

T. van Vuuren

I am quite happy with the way the decals went on, the one bottom roundal cracked up a little when I forced it over some protrution but I can fix it.

TheunsDSC00759.JPG DSC00760.JPG