Revell 1/32 Typhoon 1B with car door canopy (Build)

rtfoe

SMF Poster
Joined
Apr 29, 2018
Messages
775
Likes
816
Points
93
Location
Malaysia
First Name
Richard
#1
Hi Everyone,

Here's Henry Talalla's Typhoon or near enough as he may have been shot down in a later bubble four bladed version of the rocket firing Typhoon. It is in his squadron markings, 182Sqd. The car door version was being switched just before D-Day with the upgraded bubbled canopy version and since only the CO has a constant aircraft of his own, the others would fly in anything operational and assigned to them on that day. I'm pretty sure Henry would have flown the car door version or the B1 when joining his squadron.

The kit is a Revell 1/32 scale with raised panel lines and covered with rivets. These all had to be sanded down and panel lines re-scribed. Early on I had decided I would not show the engine but one was provided that can be super detailed if one so chooses. Also I wanted to correct the wheel wells.

1.jpg

I just painted the engine black and hoped it wasn't visible in any openings. The kit wheel well sides were molded flush with the contours of the door flap. But in reality it was boxed shaped on the inside.

2.jpg

I cut away one side and proceeded to cut the other along the edge of the well.

3.jpg

Meanwhile I thought the flaps ought to shown open as well...living dangerously was I...so cut away I did.

4.jpg

Whatever was cut was replaced with plastic card...

5.jpg

Everything was mirrored for the other side....

6.jpg

The rivet impressions hide the rscribed panel lines. The kit was peppered with it...very measled like.

7.jpg

From the inside it looked like this. The boxed frames held everything in place inside the well. This also shows how thick and robust the Typhoon wings were.

8.jpg

More later...

Cheers,
Richard
 

rtfoe

SMF Poster
Joined
Apr 29, 2018
Messages
775
Likes
816
Points
93
Location
Malaysia
First Name
Richard
#2
Here's more of the wheel well construction. I needed to replicate piping and servo units in the well and I found resistors that looked like them.

8a.jpg 9.jpg

With as much reference that I could find I made the well look as busy as it could be.

10.jpg 11.jpg 12.jpg

With some paint and weathering it looked a bit better but if I had known then that I do now is that wheel wells on Typhoons were silver in colour. Well I could remask and do it all over again but it's too much trouble...perhaps one day. So far no one has looked under.

15a.jpg

Lots of puttying to the joints coming up.

Cheers,
Richard
 

Jim R

SMF Poster
Joined
Apr 27, 2018
Messages
1,156
Likes
882
Points
113
First Name
Jim
#3
Hi Richard
Another rather poor kit getting the RF treatment. The wheel wells look great. Just sanding and rescribing a couple of panel lines is time consuming but tackling all of them - that's dedication.
Jim
 
Joined
Apr 29, 2018
Messages
775
Likes
816
Points
93
Location
Malaysia
First Name
Richard
#5
Thanks Jim and Steve for commenting. Well the kit was sitting around on the shelf and I had spare time plus it was theraputic. Even with three faced wire ring it's been tripping quite often during thunderstorms and I had nothing to do with it...I'm scared stiff at touching any wires in the house.

The Typhoon had very large barn door flaps which I wanted to show dropped. Unfortunately they were molded shut so I cut it and created the individual frame with pre drilled card and rod styrene. Here are the flaps...

16.jpg

Obviously when anything is cut away gaps need to be filled or blocked...

13.jpg
14.jpg

And sanded...

15.jpg
17a.jpg

Test fitted...

18.jpg

Painted and weathered....

19.jpg

I painted the reverse side black as the cockpit came in a turbular frame that you could see right through to the bottom.

20.jpg

Cheers,
Richard
 
Top