Revell 1:48 Mosquito MK IV

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
That's lookin' pretty good so far Graham. Makes me want to bump my Mossie further up my 'to do' list (but I've already got four kits on the go - including one with what feels like 4 zillion bits of track still to clean up!)

O' course, mine's a 'proper' 1/32 scale one - not one of these mini kits you seem to like (LOL) - but it has a similar grey/green over black camo which looks really neat. If I get mine to look half as good as yours I'll be well pleased.

Gern

F

Fenlander

Cheers Dave, I love my mini kits lol. Where on earth would you store a 1:32 Mossie????? I have no room for one. However,I will eventually break my rule as I really do fancy a 1:32 Spitfire, Steve (Stona's) and Matt (Mattski's) fault lol

Stuart, yes you can get a harder edge by doing the thinner paint and low pressure thing, trouble is, my compressor really doesn't adjust that much, I need one of those Mac valves but I really want a new and better compressor lol

B

Bunkerbarge

It's certainly an interesting looking camoflage pattern and I'm looking forward to seeing how it looks when completed. It brings back memories of when Airfix introduced a new 1/72nd Mossie way back in the 70's which was a completely new moulding and has much more detail in the undercarriage. I never did get around to buying one for some reason or another but always wanted one.

Lovely looking aircraft though. I don't know if they are of any use to you but I took a few shots a couple of years ago of the Mossie they are restoring at the Yorkshire Air Museum just outside York. If you want then I'll see if I can find them.

F

Fenlander

Thanks Richard, reference picies are always welcome so when yo have time. If you do find them out can you put them into the Reference Thread, that way they don't get lost. Much appreciated

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looking good Graham. 'tis a wonderfull bird, and almost as beatiful as the spitfire. Good job with the freehanded camo!

I maybe should of found this a bit sooner, but better late than never. Google Image Result for http://www.cbrnp.com/profiles/quarter2/dehavilland_mosquito/mosquito_bnf-1.jpg

Plenty of options there, and yes theres one in green/earth as well!!!

Ian M

B

Bunkerbarge

\ said:
Thanks Richard, reference picies are always welcome so when yo have time. If you do find them out can you put them into the Reference Thread, that way they don't get lost. Much appreciated
I'll dig them out over the weekend

F

Fenlander

A bit more done. I have decaled it up after a spray of Klear, loads of Microset and Microsol and finished with another coat of clear and then Vallejo Matt varnish just dusted over to leave a little bit of shine. I have done this and not fully matted it down for two reasons. One, I have had my first run in with silvering. No matter what I did, I just could not get rid of it and I thought a bit of sheen may take the eye away from the silvering a bit. Two, I didn't want to spray too much matt varnish on in case it 'bloomed' (leave a chalky look). I don't often have problems with this but on my first model that has so much black, I didn't want to risk it.

NOw I can get on with cutting up the doors for the wheel wells and the bomb bay and get the undercarriage built. Feels odd to have an almost 'in flight' model so near finished knowing there is so much more to do but it is coming on fairly well.

PJP

Peter/Pedro/Hey you
First Name
Peter
Very impressive Graham and I think the sheen is realistic as well.

A fully matt finish is inaccurate as it created drag, to the extent that groundcrew would often polish their aircraft for added speed!

Peter

T

treyzx10r

Graham that is looking great ,I was wondering when you mask off the clear canopy bits do you razor the tape in place or?

Trey

B

Bunkerbarge

\ said:
Done:

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/aircraft/10585-yorkshire-air-museums-mosquito.html#post73979

F

Fenlander

Great pictures Richard, thanks a lot. Interesting for me especially were the flaps. In the kit, that is exactly how they are, the two control surfaces joined by a rod. I did wonder why they had done this in the kit as I struggled to get it to fit into the wing but it is exactly as it looks in the picture. Great shots.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looks good Graham. One thing I have found when spraying klear is can often leave a very fine texture on the surface and Silvering happens. Since I started brushing it on I have had no problems with silvering worth mentioning.

Ian M

F

Fenlander

I think you are right Ian, oddly enough, I was going to brush it on but I changed my mind at the last minute. My fault and another lesson learned. It isn't that bad I will lose sleep over it, just a tad annoying really.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Looks great Graham. As for the silvering,this may be a bit late but I've had success by making needle holes in the silvered area of decal film and then flooding the said area with Klear.

Cheers

Steve

F

Fenlander

I did try that Steve, and loads of Microsol before it. I think Ian has the right answer to the problem. The paint for some reason was a bit rough textured,not something I usually worry about, but this time I should have done. If I had brushed a thicker coat of Klear, it would have smoothed it and all would have been well. As I said, it isn't life threatening, I am just kicking myself for not taking more care lol

F

Fenlander

Started on the final leg now. The undercarriage comes first, then the props and the bombs then she is finished.

Cut out the parts for one side of the UC, and is it flimsy!!!!! Here are the bits for one side, just hope they stand up to cleaning up never mind holding the weight of the model..... Then I hope I can fit them in place in the wheel wells. These are supposed to be built up while the nacelles are in two parts but there is no way you could paint it with them in place, far to delicate to slap masking tape round.

S

sprayman

Try cutting your Klear with Iso, to help avoid texturing, aprox 70:30 Iso,Klear was never designed to be atomised, but the iso will help it stay uniformed and moist as it shoots towards your model great work so far Graham.

Last edited:
F

Fenlander

Cheers for that Ray, I will give it a try on the next one. One thing I have been thinking about is temperature. Most of my paints are in the shed which is small enough to get to a comfortable temperature within a couple of minutes. However, as the weather gets colder then the paints will be cold even when the heater has brought the air temperature up to my cosseted standards. Will cold paint need different treatment or should I store my paints in the house and take them into the shed for spraying?

Anyway, Mosquito undercarriage. I have assembled each side and it does feel a tad stronger now but I wouldn't want to put too much strain on it. I have tested squeezing it into the wheel wells and, although I have no idea how I am going to get glue in there, I should be able to work something out using a thick CA, it should give me time to line it all up.

All sprayed directly to plastic by building up light dusting of Alclad Dull Aluminium which looks the part. Tyres painted in Revell Anthracite and Hull red for the two tanks(whatever they are for, hydraulics I assume)

B

Bunkerbarge

Graham I would definately store your paints indoors. As you correctly point out they will never achieve the air temperature that you feel personally comfortable with so the paint will encourage the creation of condensation whether you paint it on or, considerably worse, when you airbrush it.

I do like that Revel Anthracite paint, very realistic rubber effect.