Revell 1/700 USS Independence

B

Bangor Lad

This model has been waiting for some work for I don't know how long. I've recently re-started on her and added a little more detail from the GMM etched set. The boot topping has been painted and I'll mask it when the hull is painted. Hope to get regular updates out.
DSCF2005.jpg

DSCF2004.jpg

Cheers

B

Bangor Lad

I wouldn't normally apply a white primer to a ship model but the camouflage scheme has a few white areas which were designed to reduce the depth of shadow in some areas.
Photos to follow.

B

Bangor Lad

DSCF2009.jpg

The white will also help to get a slightly faded effect to the main hull colours. The white areas are now masked and ready for airbrushing. I'm going to paint the flight deck first and when that has fully cured I'll mask that and begin on the hull.
DSCF2011.jpg

Cheers

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
That's looking good David. Looks ghostly in white

B

Bangor Lad

Finished most of the main painting and now it's on to the detail painting. I also need to replace the mast structure which unfortunately got damaged. Fortunately there is a second mast in the GMM set which also provided the railings etc.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Cheers

B

Bangor Lad

Currently I am assembling Eduard 2omm Oerlikons!
DSCF2251.jpg

Only another 20 to do :smiling3:
Cheers

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Nice paint job, David.

Plenty of Battle Honours during WW2, only to end up on Bikini Atoll for the 'A' Bomb tests!

....good luck with the remaining 20 Oerlikons.

Ron

G

Graham D

Doing 1/350 oerlikons is bad enough, but these are 1/2 the size of those. Good luck and I hope the carpet monster doesn't gobble too many of them

B

Bangor Lad

Thanks, Graham. Should be fitting them some time next week. Not lost any so far......famous last words :smiling3:
Cheers
Dave

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Nicely done, Dave. I bet you're glad to see them completed...

Ron

B

Bangor Lad

I've made a start on the seascape today.
DSCF2273.jpg

The swell is created from some heavy watercolour paper supported on a cocktail stick. The edges are feathered into the base with some filler.

DSCF2281.jpg

Next, I applied a base coat of Vellejo Prussian Blue.
DSCF2311.jpg

When this has dried out I'll apply another coat of blue (this shade is a little too bright) then begin the texturing with an acrylic gel.

Cheers

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Nice to see a different approach to mine when creating a seascape - More the merrier!

Interesting stuff....

B

Bangor Lad

Managed to get a bit more done. Needs a few touch ups before adding a couple of aircraft and some crew figures.
DSCF2377.jpg

Thanks for looking.
Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Bangor Lad

Started work on the aircraft. I'm keeping it two Avengers. I've got a few more earmarked for some other projects.
DSCF2404.jpg

Cheers