Revell 1/72 Avro Shackleton AWE2

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
\ said:
Also forgot to mention I tried to fit the bomb bay doors in the closed position as there's no bombs to fit which might have looked good left open. DON'T as the doors don't fit they don't line up with the contour of the fuselage. I'll be glad when this ones finished!
I was planning on having mine shut - oh well.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
It's interesting watching this Vaughan. You're having to use some old-school techniques on a modern kit, which is not good from the manufacturer, but the satisfaction of bashing this into shape will outweigh the frustrations you are experiencing at the moment with this one.

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
Good to see at least this one is coming along, great work so far Vaughn.

Phil

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
You know what I said on your build of the Airfix kit? Ditto for this one! Maybe there's quality issues 'cos both manufacturers (if that's the right word for these!) were racing to get their version to the market first?

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Dave it makes you wonder if that was the case.

Some progress made over the last few days fit issues are still abundant but I won't mention them it's getting a bit boring and predictable. Have sprayed the wings with primer followed by dark sea grey. Two coats of Klear and then a start on the decals( 26 so far). Not looking forward to walk area decals will most probably cut them into individual sections. Next up will be spraying the fuselage.

IMG_8060.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Well I had a go with the walkway lines. I cut them up into individual sections, difficult to still apply but I think their ok for a first attempt. Decalsoft is still taking effect so should look better when dry. Well that's one wing done now for the next:eek:

IMG_8064.jpg

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
\ said:
Well I had a go with the walkway lines. I cut them up into individual sections, difficult to still apply but I think their ok for a first attempt. Decalsoft is still taking effect so should look better when dry. Well that's one wing done now for the next:eek:
View attachment 153631
They look well decent Vaughn good job, chopping 'em up is a good method, I think next time I haven't got broken/dash walkway lines I'm gonna try masking and painting them.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Masking them had crossed my mind but they are so thin plus trying to spray yellow would be difficult over dark sea grey.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looks excellent vaughan , wing walk lines are a bugger to get straight arent they but youve nailed it . Cheers tony

F

Fenlander

That is looking quite impressive. For all the issues, you are making a Stirling job of this Vaughan.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Looks nice Vaughan. I couldn't get those shafts for the props to fit, so I ditched them.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Here Vaughan, I know these Revell things have disappointed us, but have a look at this

S

Stevekir

\ said:
I think next time I haven't got broken/dash walkway lines I'm gonna try masking and painting them.
Whenever I do masking (eg. camo) I find some bleed under the tape. I use Tamiya yellow tape, press the edge down firmly and coat that edge, both the part and the tape, with a thin line of Pledge (to seal it). I never get a crisp sharp edge.

Has anyone conquered this?

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
\ said:
Whenever I do masking (eg. camo) I find some bleed under the tape. I use Tamiya yellow tape, press the edge down firmly and coat that edge, both the part and the tape, with a thin line of Pledge (to seal it). I never get a crisp sharp edge.
Has anyone conquered this?
Hi Steve, not sure what the pledge is for? I have never had any bleed when using Tamiya tape so not sure what's happening here, maybe it's a smoothness thing Steve? Are you getting the surface nice and smooth before painting and masking? Maybe PM me in case we get our collar felt for hijacking this thread

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
HI Colin thanks for posting the YouTube video it really gives an insight into the Shackleton and a great comparision to the Lancaster. Will have a go at the other walkway lines this week fingers crossed all goes well.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Well it's taken me an hour to put down this last set of walkways. A nightmare! It's not perfect but it's as good as it's going to get. Thank god that's over with. Now I can get on with spraying the fuselage which should be a darn sight easier.

IMG_8087.jpg

F

Fenlander

Have to say Vaughan, this is looking tidy. From the pics you would have no idea of the fight you have had with it.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Some more progress since last Tuesday main undercart attached. Fuselage is now painted plus two coats of Klear and decaling has started in ernest it's going to take some time this is my second day. Have found leaving the wings detachable has made decaling somewhat easier. Props are in the process of being painted but as Colin said it's a matter of masking spraying masking spraying it just goes on!

IMG_8111.jpg

IMG_8112.jpg

IMG_8114.jpg

IMG_8118.jpg

IMG_8119.jpg

IMG_8120.jpg

IMG_8121.jpg